The Snail Lover's Society

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,713
    I made my kid a "Snail and the Whale" cake for his birthday and I thought the SLS would appreciate the snail. Keen eyed society members may spot that the cake is slightly smaller than was possibly expected and I will plead adverse circumstances rather than point the finger at people who promised to bake a sponge cake rather than hurriedly buying one at the last minute.

This is the tail of the humpback whale
    He held it out of the starlit sea
    and said to the snail
    "come sail with me"

I've also been getting interested in the smaller snails in the garden. These aren't the ravenous garden snails or the beautiful stripey snails but the tiny brown-shelled snails that lurk in dark corners and come out at night to browse on detritus. They're often forgotten and I think of them as the civilian casualties in the chemical and organic snail wars. Nematodes don't care if your snails are friends or foes remember.
    These are vague IDs because there's a lot of snails that all look very similar but this is some kind of moss snail

and a glass snail of some kind

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,992
    That's gorgeous - the cake I mean, not the snail  :D
    Those wee snails are quite cute though, and so is @steephill's, but I'm struggling to find any admiration for the ones I keep uncovering.
    They're starting to take the p*ss now. I had an old florist's pot over the water scarecrow yesterday as I was trundling back and forth. I lifted it off, and there was a mahoosive one sitting on top of it. 
    I did laugh though  ;)

I often find really tiny ones in among the phormiums. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Must have been a good year for Snails - the number of tinies is really quite staggering.  I've still got my Palermo Peppers outside - no chance of them ripening but fresh in a salad is good - obviously the latest generation of snails is of the same opinion - they even use the Radichio to go with it :)
    Well my quest to find all the snail species in my garden has hit two snags. One is that I can't find a good/easy ID guide and the other is that they keep running away before I can go get a camera.

Anyway I think these are girdled snails. The keel ridge and white line are distinctive. I like the tiny spiral in the centre of the shell (the protoconch apparently).

I can't find the ID for this one. It has distinct growth rings, 4 whorls, a black body and a deep ubilicus. I forgot to sniff it to check for garlic breath :/

• I don't know of a good Snail Guide either - bit frustrating isn't it ?
    I haven't come across your "unknown" but a good looking beast.  Maybe pbff will look in and have some idea.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,727
    Anyone remember my Brian 🐌 , well, he started off belonging to my daughter, then I took him on, she’s just bought two more, I told her I’ll enjoy those in a couple of years. Bless her😀  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Saw this pot online today and thought of the SLS. Sadly I've no idea where it can be bought.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,532
    I think it looks a bit creepy😕
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,727
    I’m not keen on it, however having a google I saw the air plants in a snail shell, these were very popular in the 70’s, Eden have a huge selection so I’m going to bring Brian’s shell in from the pond and plant him up. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pbffpbff Posts: 427
    @wild edges - what an amazing cake! I'm sure the recipient must have been delighted with it! 

Your photos of the snails are lovely too.
    I am also quite fond of the little snails, although I'm not very knowledgeable about identifying them at present. 
    Hopefully this will soon be remedied - like @philippa smith2 I haven't yet found a good snail guide on the internet, so this morning I contacted Imogen Cavadino, a mollusc expert and research assistant/PhD student at RHS Wisley, who recommended the following:

'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland https://www.conchsoc.org/node/6281
    This looks really good and is only £2. 
    Imogen did say that stock is low at the moment, but more are coming in soon.

'A Field Guide to the Land Snails of Britain and North-West Europe'
    Out of print, but a search on AbeBooks or eBay shows some relatively inexpensive, second-hand copies for sale.

Land Snails of the British Isles FSC identification key
    https://www.field-studies-council.org/shop/publications/land-snails-in-the-british-isles-2nd-edition/

Imogen says that this is the best ID key available and is complemented really well by the 'Laminated Field Guide to Land Snails' by The Conchological Society mentioned above. 

She also recommends the free basic ID key on The Conchological Society's website, which is to be found here: https://www.conchsoc.org/aids_to_id/idbase.php

@[email protected], yes I remember Brian, it's nice that he will be taking pride of place in your home again - very appropriate for a SLS member :lol: 

Finally, sorry for not making an appearance on here for months,  I've been 'snailed under' with things at work this year.
    I will be glad to get back to the snails and the forum, which are far more exciting :smiley: 

pbff