Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Seed

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,947
    Oops!  Freudian slip 😀. Got to make the kids earn their living.
    If the sunflower hearts had slugs on them the birds would never touch them, none of them will eat slugs. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,286
    @Lyn, My first delivery came this morning
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,947
    edited October 2019
    Hope it’s a good one since I’ve been singing it’s praises. 
    each bag varies depending on what’s in stock.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,286
    Hubby bought boxes of 150 fat balls  for £7.99 in B&M yesterday
    Devon.
  • Hope they are good Hosta - must admit I found some of the fat balls I'd been buying were a bit "dry".  I went over to the blocks - they seemed better for me ( well, not for me as such but for the birds  :D )
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,836
    I dont mind the fat balls crumbling a little as it feeds the ground birds, plus any leftovers are hovered up by the hedgehogs, 😁
  • Fair point :)
  • Fairygirl said:
    I think George is getting a 'no mix' - he's just looking for the best price.

The people along from me use all the cheap crappy stuff. It's great - the pigeons and jackdaws spend all day there and leave the good stuff in my garden  :D
    Sorry I have not replied sooner to the posts, unfortunately I have been away and just got back to all the fantastic comments. I get the no waste / no grow variety think its for the Robins. I do not want to buy rubbish that will just get wasted however just after someone that might selling it a Pound or two cheaper.

• Hope they are good Hosta - must admit I found some of the fat balls I'd been buying were a bit "dry".  I went over to the blocks - they seemed better for me ( well, not for me as such but for the birds  :D )
    I make my own fat bombs up, i bought a load of coconut ones from B&M and once they had been eaten filled them up with my own version, lard with dried worms, or crushed peanuts or with some general mix of bird seed. I then put them in the freezer over night so the lard goes hard again and hey presto home made fat bombs that the birds love and at least I know it has more feed in than the shop ones.... oh and the kids love mixing it up with their fingers getting all messy...

• I dont mind the fat balls crumbling a little as it feeds the ground birds, plus any leftovers are hovered up by the hedgehogs, 😁
    Your lucky to have hedgehogs, we are very rural and do not have them, make up with it by having loads of red squirrels. we did contact the local hedgehog society as they where looking for places to re home some where there are not many, So I said my garden and surrounds would be ideal, however they told me they can not re-home hedgehogs in our area as we have badgers and they will kill the hedgehogs, so rather saddened that I will not have any in our garden again, Like I said the red squirrels make up for it, as long as Mr Grey stays away.