Forum home The potting shed

Harlow Carr in late October

2»

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,786
    I've been trying to go up and visit Harlow Carr for the past 2 weeks to pick a plant up from the plant centre, but the weather been terrible so haven't had chance yet I go tomorrow but its forecast rain again all day. I'll report back if I do mange to visit it be next weekend now. 

Might get a RHS membership while I am there, wasn't sure it be worth it but with bridgewater opening next year about 20 mile away I should get my money worth. 

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 373
    Hexagon said:
    I think it's all massively overpriced. I just went once to look at the plants for sale and saw how much it cost to get into the garden. Didn't buy any plants, they were too expensive. Also the traffic and parking were a nightmare. I once went for an afternoon tea in a Bettys and it wasn't worth the money. The sandwiches were horrible. I bet there are plenty smaller local businesses who do an afternoon tea with much better quality for lower prices.
    I would agree Betty's straight from the fridge sandwich is awful.  Plants are expensive (fact, not opinion) compared to other Yorkshire nurseries.

However the entry price and gardens are priced fair and excellent in all but the deepest winter., and for that I'd recommend.   Also eat off then proper menu at Betty's and yes it's silly price, bit commercial but doubtless better quality than cheaper menu.

Parking is great, masses and masses of overspill, you would never have trouble parking, guaranteed.