Forum home The potting shed

Toast - Non GW Question No 65

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,506
This is for the current or retired physics Dons or Teachers and I apologise its not re plants

When I put 2 bits of bread into my toaster they do evenly.
When i put just 1 slice in it burns.

Stop laughing but this is something I would just like to understand and I am hoping within the ranks of World Wide GW someone knows.

:p 
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,061
    I think more information is required. Are the slices of toast in one long slot or in two parallel slots? Are you starting with a cold toaster or have you already toasted something before? Did your son-in-law leave a layer of currants in the bottom of the toaster from last week's hot cross buns? (Perhaps it's only me who has that problem).

Actually, I suspect this will depend on the make of toaster and how clever the electronics are rather than on any physical principle. My toaster doesn't display this characteristic but is quite sophisticated and has touch controls (including ones labelled "A quick look" and "A bit more"!)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,272
    Well it's quite simple. The little elves in the toaster all rush to one side for the single slice, and they haven't worked out yet, that they're not all needed.
    Simples 
     :D 

If I'm doing two slices, they go at the lowest level, then get turned round and done again. Perfect. If I'm doing one, I turn it up to about 3 or 4, and that's ok. Not as evenly toasted  though. 
    I have no idea of the real reasoning  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,720
    Maybe two slices keeps the temperature down a little longer😐
    My toaster cost a tenner a good while ago. You can look down into the bowels, or sniff or pop it out. All these will work.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,656
    Who ever has just one slice?! 
    I have noticed that if you are doing a few rounds, then the second and third toasting is more toasted - presumably as the toaster is already hot? I also think that two slices may draw the heat between them, thus decreasing browning. I have also read that fresh bread toasts lighter than staler bread (moisture content). 
    The other law is that if you put your underdone toast back in, you will be distracted and therefore it will burn. 
    So much to think about! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,385
    AuntyRach said:
    Who ever has just one slice?! 

My mum.  At 96, and almost blind, and not very steady on her pins, her capacity for physical activity is very small, so she doesn't work up an appetite.  Some days, she'll have two slices of bread at lunchtime, but more often only one.
  • My problem too. I often enjoy 3 slices in a 2 slot toaster. The reason, if you use a basic model like myself, is that the heating elements are mounted on a very fine mesh. All the heat from the empty side will pass through and hit one side of the bread, hence being overdone on one side. Too much of a faff to turn mid-way. I just put up with it.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,272
    @josusa47 - I think @AuntyRach was making a little joke  ;)
    I sometimes only have one slice. Very particular about my tea to go with it as well.

First world problems eh?  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 14,720
    The same problem would happen with piggies who want 3slices🐖
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,137
    I remember when I was looking for a new toaster I had to make sure it could actually take a slice of bread without having to take off the top so it would fit.I had a piece of paper in my handbag the size of the slice I wanted and used this as a guide by inserting it into the slot when testing toasters,got a few funny looks!
    The Breville Lightning fitted the bill.
    The toast colour depends a lot on how much moisture there is in the bread,fresh bread toasts slower than 2 day old bread.
    I personally like thin crispy toast,not burnt,which I then allow to cool slightly before putting on the butter.The butter must not disappear completely into the slice as I still like to see it.Then honey or Marmite * and on one occasion both on the same slice as I could not see the honey on the toast before spreading the Marmite!
    Actually tasted quite pleasant!
    *(Marmite for dinner and honey for pudding  ;))
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,506
    Thats a great response and thanks for bearing with me.

There are 2 slots side by side and I have 2 then a 3rd and it is this one that gets a roasting.

Fairygirl said:
    Well it's quite simple. The little elves in the toaster all rush to one side for the single slice, and they haven't worked out yet, that they're not all needed.
    Simples 
     :D 

If I'm doing two slices, they go at the lowest level, then get turned round and done again. Perfect. If I'm doing one, I turn it up to about 3 or 4, and that's ok. Not as evenly toasted  though. 
    I have no idea of the real reasoning  ;)
    We dont have a technical answer so I prefer Fairygirls suggestion !!!!

Thanks all as usual
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.