Forum home The potting shed

Shrubby Salvias

@Fire gave me some salvia cuttings last year. Thanks again 😊 They have done so well this year, I'm hooked!
Bought two today and will get more - but not hot lips. 
Since joining this site, i have discovered new interesting and slug proof plants. It was penstemon and gaura last year. Next year salvias.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,538
    Love them...and so many different variations of fragrance and colour and they are as tough as old boots. Added a few weeks ago a Salvia X Jamensis Melen to my garden and it's wonderful .

To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,691
    I noticed a slight smell off the ones I bought today. I didnt realise they'd be scented. Even better!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I love the smell of the leaves! I have a deep purple one and the amethyst lips which is a lighter purple and white. Would love an apricot one, Heatwave Glow looks very nice. I’ve taken some cuttings, in case they don’t survive the winter. Are they reliably hardy?
    🐾 East Midlands 🐾
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,538
    Apologies for the multiple picture posts...was on a train and the reception was a bit ropey. You've definitely seen my latest 😂
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,936
    @pitter-patter, l don't know if any of them could be described as reliably hardy. It very much depends on drainage,  the winter weather,  etc.
    Having said that, l have managed to get "Heatwave Blaze" through 2 winters, it's in very well drained soil. l've probably put the kybosh on it now 🙄 , but l always take cuttings as insurance. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,487
    I’ve got Black n Blue and Neon Pink, both hardy, they've both been covered with 4” of snow, and soil frozen down 4” as well. Just like a dollop of mulch over them in winter.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,591
    Mine are pretty much hardy, but I have sandy soil which I'm sure helps.  The only one that I've lost over winter has been Trebah Lilac White, and that was the year when it snowed hard at the end of November before everything had gone properly dormant and then stayed very cold for the whole of December (2009 or 2010? Can't remember). I have Amistad new this year so it'll be interesting to see how it does (cuttings rooted to keep indoors just in case).
  • Sounds encouraging. I will take some more cuttings just in case...
    🐾 East Midlands 🐾
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,071
    @B3 I'm very glad the cuttings worked out well. I have taken to shoving Bumble prunnings unceremoniously in pots just because I have them. All the ones I have potted up have taken this year have brilliantly - great to donate to charity fairs and friends etc. Also scented pelargoniums. About as easy as it comes. I have planted up a Bumble hedge by my front door, which is coming along well.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,936
    I love "Royal Bumble" @Fire :)
    That's probably the nearest one to "reliably hardy".