Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Aquilegia discolor

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I knew it was small but this is ridiculous. That's a 3" pot, the stem must be almost non existent

In the sticks near Peterborough

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

That is about the right size for it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hum. I grew this from seed from a plant I bought last year. It was bigger than that. Probably force fed on something in a polytunnel. I think these will be looking for a new home.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Aw, I think it looks lovely - it just needs to be up on a plinth image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

it looks very sweet, just needs to lift it's little head up! 

• So cute! How many did you grow?

They germinated like mustard and cress Tilley (or like aquilegias anyway) I kept about 15,

I wouldn't mind some troughs or a raised bed to try a few tinies but I've never got round to it yet.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Experience over the years shows that self-sown aquilegias are extremely variable in form and flower, nut, as they cross-pollinate like mad.  I have about 70 seedlings on the go at the moment but have to wait and see how they turn out, then will have to be quite ruthless and assign the losers to the compost heap shortly after they show their first flower - don't want the 'losers' cross-pollimating with the 'winners'!  I expect only a dozen or so 'keepers'.  Worth the effort though - I've quite a few good ones now and they can be very long lived.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I got some lovely hybrids with A.viridiflora and various vulgaris Bob. Can't seem to keep viridiflora though and saving the seed gives me more hybrids so I've jgerminated a new packet this season.

got some nice crosses with A. canadensis as well

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Nice one, nut - it's very rewarding when you get an interesting new one isn't it!image

I tend to go for crossing various types of the clematis-flowered varieties.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.