Climber to plant this time of year?

Hi There, just a quick question to ask what climber for a wall, pergola and fence will be ok to plant this time of year? The soil is clay/loam and is in the sun/light all day. I'd like a fast growing climber with lots of shade if possible.

Many Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,002
    Anything is fine to plant at this time of year if it's potted, and going into suitable ground  :)

Is it three different areas you have, or are they all 'joined together'? 
    Also - although it's in sun or good light just now, once you plant climbers, you will create a shady area, so you need to think about what you plant if you have more than one, as one will then have more shade.  :)

For instance - a montana clematis will cover a huge area, but it will take a few years. Many people plant another summer flowering clem along with them to give a longer flowering season, but that second one will have different conditions.
    Honeysuckle is good for a shadier spot, but is  best suited for scrambling over a building or similar. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• miffxtcmiffxtc Posts: 20
    Hi There, yes all the same spot, I have a henryi clematis in another spot so would the contrast work with montana? I don't know the flowering colour.

Thanks
    Is the henryi - 'Henryi'  which flowers in early summer and later?
    Montanas come in white and pink mainly, and flower in spring, with a later showing sometimes as well [around this time of year] so I think you could plant that.
    Just don't plant it in the same spot, or it'll crowd out theone you have,  and make sure you train the young growth in where you want it. They're very vigorous once they get going, but you can tidy them if they go somewhere you don't want them. 

• miffxtcmiffxtc Posts: 20
    Yes I have large trellis's and they're about 5 metres apart, should that be enough space, they then hopefully will go on the pergola and side wall.
    The montana will cover a bigger space then the Henryi, so you might even be able to squeeze in another winter/spring flowerer somewhere, or a viticella [or similar] to flower when the montana is a bit dormant.
    It just depends on the general layout you have, and where you can plant etc. Difficult to suggestothers without seeing a photo. Hope they go well for you anyway  :)