Electric v push lawnmower questions.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,656
I currently have an electric rotary lawnmower which cuts fine but it also sucks up dry soil so end up with a patchy lawn.
Looking for something not quite so brutal and thought maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-GC-HM-Manual-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B01AHEK39Q/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hand+mower&qid=1567330435&s=gateway&sr=8-3

It's not a huge lawn and fairly level.It is also my meadow lawn which does not need that very fine sort of cut,just to keep the grass at a certain height.
Any thoughts?
“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,948
    I've got a similar one (from Aldi). It does work okay but I wouldn't want to tackle long grass with it. Nice not to have to faff about with a cable.

I find it tricky to do up to the edges of the lawn as you need to maintain a certain speed, it's easy to overshoot and bash your plants. On a low setting the blades can nick the turf if the ground is uneven. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941
    I would first try raising the blades on your electric mower so it doesn't scalp the soil.  I expect a push mower will also scalp uneven soil if the blades are set too low.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    I have a similar push mower (mine's a Bosch) and I'm happy with it. My grass areas are fairly small, flat and reasonably level and I cut them to about an inch and a half or so, not bowling-green-short. It copes fine even for the first cut of the year, although I do try to do it before things get too shaggy. Edges are no problem because I have block paver edging strips so the wheels run onto that. Now and again I get in with single-handed shears or a small battery clipper to do the edges when they've started growing out horizontally over the edging strip.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,656
    edited 1 September
    My current mower does not scalp the grass it is more the 'sucking' action of the rotary blade which takes off surface soil leaving the grass with nothing to grow into,so I get tufts of grass rather than a mat.
    I have cut the entire lawn with hand shears which was very successful for the lawn but not so much for my knees and back!!! Also good for new growth from seed.
    The lawn has 4 sides 3 of which are on path edges the rest has edgers.I always have to do some of the edges with shears anyway as my rotary mower does not get close enough.I also take up the round stepping stones before I mow.
    Basically I want the mower to cut rather than suck!

Ideally this is what I need!!!

Your mower is sucking up soil because the grass is too sparse and the soil is too dry and there's nothing holding it in place.   

If you want to keep it as a meadow you need to buy in or sow and grow on some plug plants for wildflowers and use those to fill the gaps next spring.   If not, wait till you've had some decent rain and sow fresh grass seed some time this month when it is still warm enough for it to grow and thicken. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited 1 September
    Obelixx said:
    Your mower is sucking up soil because the grass is too sparse and the soil is too dry and there's nothing holding it in place.   

If you want to keep it as a meadow you need to buy in or sow and grow on some plug plants for wildflowers and use those to fill the gaps next spring.   If not, wait till you've had some decent rain and sow fresh grass seed some time this month when it is still warm enough for it to grow and thicken. 
    My mower is sucking up soil because the grass is too sparse.
    The grass is too sparse because the mower sucks up all the soil!!!
    This is the whole problem really!
    Which is why I want a mower that does not suck just cuts.
    Will give the new mower a go and see how I get on.
    Stop mowing, start sowing and then you'll have enough grass to hold down the soil.
    edited 1 September
    I have done that but even once the new grass is ready to cut the mower sucks up the new grass so nothing ever gets a hold!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,941
    Presumably the soil is dry because it is under trees. You may always have a problem there. I wouls suggest you buy in a mix of turf and meadow turf, lay that and then keep it well watered for its lifetime. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    edited 1 September
    This is the 18th summer I have been here.
    I reseeded the original lawn after a leather jacket attack,then I had the lawn replaced completely twice,reseed every year using seed for dry shade.
    The tree is a problem but I see lawns round here that are lush under similar trees and no watering.
    Been growing it as a grazed meadow lawn for 3 seasons so plenty of different plants in it.The last 2 dry summers haven't helped as nothing gets really established whatever time I plant it!
    Maybe I just expect too much of my lawn  :/