Forum home Tools and techniques

The best roller mower

Hi, I want to buy a new or second hand petrol roller mower with a 41cm blade. I'm thinking of a Hayter, Honda or Atco but the atco's are suspiciously cheap and I have been told there is a design problem with Hayters which affects the rear roller. I need it to cut a large lawn for a customer who is fastidious about stripes. Any thoughts?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,052
    Honda HRX 426 QXE - Hayter Harrier 41 are the ones I can think of around that size , are you sure you want a 41cm cut for a large lawn ? surely 53 - 56 cm is a more common size of cut for the larger lawns . What problems have you heard about the Hayter roller ? 

Not sure about acto rotarys never used one before,  they used to make Cylinder mowers but Allett bought them out and they make the cylinders now. 
  • 56 would be to wide to get between some of the flower beds, I want a decent all purpose roller mower. Someone I know who serviced them says the hayter roller assembly has problems and he gets a lot more of them than any other brought in. I think I might go for a Honda but have used Hayters and like the fact that the roller is wider than the track of the front wheels. I don't think that's true on the Honda is it?
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 311
    Harrier 41 has a plastic rear roller which is belt driven and gives very few if any problems, Honda and Hayter with steel rollers with differential units inside can and do wear with age, so buy new and look after it for fewer troubles
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    If this is for one lawn, they'll all last fairly well. 

Don't forget, roller mowers can roll through areas of lawn narrower than themself as the roller stops the machine falling into the beds. 

What's your budget? Will you be cutting much in the rain? Worth checking out Weibang too, I've just been cutting lawns in horrendous weather with mine 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,052
    I heard good things about weibang lawnmowers but they weigh a ton , is that 48 or 56cm cut @glasgowdan ? How does it compare to other mowers with roller like the lawnflite pro / kazz - honda etc

• glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    It's heavy-ish, but the issue is more the balance of the weight. Those moments you have to lift the roller by the handles, it's really heavy compared to the Kaaz roller I had. 

This one is a 48. I had to fit a non-original hi lift blade, and speed the engine up a lot to get it to bag like that. It seems durable and well-made. Few niggles, definitely NOT the perfect mower, but then the perfect roller mower simply doesn't exist!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. In an ideal world I'd rather spend £500 on a decent second hand mower than a new one (it's only going to be used one day a week in one garden - and not when it's wet). I'll look into Weibang - haven't heard of them before.