Forum home Plants

Cuttings. Should I separate them yet?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582
    I wouldn’t want to advertise, I don’t want strangers coming here,  we don’t have passers buy, so mine go in the compost. I’ve thrown trays of bedding plants away this year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    I don't understand why folk "keep"plants they don't like. They'd never "keep" wallpaper or a paint colour they didn't like.
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,073
    It's because they're alive. As a meat eater I can plainly detect a problem with my argument😐
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    edited August 2019
    B3 said:
    It's because they're alive. As a meat eater I can plainly detect a problem with my argument😐
    offer them to someone else if you can't face "killing" them.
    Someone gave Hubby a Salvia Hot Lips. I offered to everyone I know but clearly they all have good taste  and politely declined the offer, so it went into the compost bin
    Devon.
  • cassie.a.stewartcassie.a.stewart Posts: 274
    edited August 2019
    B3 said:
    Do you slaughter your own meat? If not, no fault to detect😉

I'd be the same as you having to get rid of a plant I'd grown. 
    I suppose, in a way, it might be like a free range farmer who'd named his beasts compared to a 'farmer'  who had a meat factory. If I had a tray of seedlings in a greenhouse, I wouldn't be too bothered about composting them.
  • B3 said:
    I suppose, in a way, it might be like a free range farmer who'd named his beasts compared to a 'farmer'  who had a meat factory. If I had a tray of seedlings in a greenhouse, I wouldn't be too bothered about composting them.
    Yeah, or thinning out seedlings. Then again it was still painful for me to do that😂

I apologise to the weeds when I take them out🤣
    I'd have to have a tape on  a loop!
  • B3 said:
    I'd have to have a tape on  a loop!
    Now thats an idea🤔... 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,582
    I only sow a few types of seeds in trays, what I know I’ll need a lot of, the rest I sow in rice pots, or similar, only about 20 seeds of each plant.
    ths year I slipped up on lobelia, on recommendation I used seed compost, bad move!  They didn’t germinate so I sowed another tray about  3 weeks later,  then the first tray germinated, very slowly but did catch up, so I had thousands of them, 2 trays of pricked out plants went to the compost. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.