Forum home Plants

Cuttings. Should I separate them yet?

• B3B3 Posts: 14,990
    How do they know??
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,557
    I can give you a little tip, like everything else, once you keep it for a length of time it’s harder to get rid of, Chuck it now while it’s tiny before it has chance to grow on you, not literally of course. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I can't do it😯
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,557
    Yes you can, be strong😀
    I made that mistake years ago, now if you saw my garden you’d understand why you just have to be ruthless, I need to do it now and everything is full grown! 
    I had 60 hydrangeas here, all from cuttings, bar one, I’ve dug a few out but it’s easier when they are tiny, believe me 😱
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,099
    I was going to say the same as Lyn - don't keep them if they're no use to you. Treat it as a pruning that you would bung in the compost bin!  It gets easier over time :D

COME ON @B3 ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

But they've taken. And they're growing. What if I leave them outside in a bad place and let the weather do it?
    Seriously though, what people in my road do with unwanted stuff (toys, plants etc) -not rubbish - is to leave it outside the front fence for passers-by to help themselves. I'll line the little darlings up against the fence in the spring. That way I'll get rid of some flowerpots too.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,845
    Ww do that here too. A woman in a nearby road used to do it and ask for donations for the hospice to be put through her letterbox. Now there are plants all year,they have prices on, and she raises £1-2k a year for the hospice :-)

Once definitely alive and rooted and potted on, you can also post on Freecycle or local Facebook groups and people will come and get them. It's lovely!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    That's a really nice idea @LG_.   I must say, I've never thought of doing it, and I'm a bit cynical about folk. Maybe it's because I had a terrible time with feral children and their equally feral parents when I moved back here. 
    I don't do any social media though, but that might be a better option. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,845
    The social media thing can be a bit time consuming, because of having to arrange a time for pick up, give your address etc. (tho I just leave them on the doorstep so I don't have to be home). But the delight of the people who get the freebie plants and the plants getting to live on is very pleasurable. I've got cuttings of string of pearls and string of hearts and a decent-sized aspidistra this way - not a houseplants person but I thought I'd give some a try. I've given away spider plant babies and have several Peperomia I'll be sending out into the world soon. The 'string of' lady and I now have quite a swap going - she's had some of my Verbena bonariensis recently and other stuff promised for the spring. She's good at houseplants but no idea about outdoors, I'm the opposite, so we ask each other's advice too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    That's really lovely @LG_    :)