Teak bench. Should I clean it?

B3B3 Posts: 10,225
I have a teak bench that stays outside all year in the shade. It's a bit grubby with moss or lichen. I don't really want to use detergent to clean it as it will get onto the garden .
If I leave it grubby, will the wood be damaged?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,440
    The plant growth will probably keep the wood damper for longer which will shorten its life in the long run. I'd pressure wash it and get a treatment oil or varnish on there.
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,225
    I thought that pressure washing damaged the grain. It makes sense about the growth keeping it wet. I wonder if it would be worth swapping it with the one that lives in the sun. Might that kill the green stuff? 😕
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,440
    Teak is pretty hard but adjust the pressure accordingly, use a wide spray angle and don't get too close. I pressure wash my wooden decking and it doesn't do any harm and that's all larch. Or you could leave it in the sun like you said and maybe use fine sandpaper or a nylon scouring pad to get the worst of it off.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,690
    I've had a teak bench for more than 30yrs by my fish pond.
    It's in full sun (when it shines) and I don't cover it in winter, it's now faded to a grey colour, but the wood is still in fine condition and no lichen.
    You could just give it a brush with stiff brush to get rid of the worst of it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    I think I'll compromise and get some of it off because I quite like the patina. Thanks for advice @wild edges
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,493
    I would use a stiff brush to remove any plant / lichen growth.  You could pressure wash, but have to be careful not to be too brutal and lift the grain.  By the time you've dug out the pressure washer and set it up you could probably do the job by hand anyway.
    I did it by hand. 😊. I think the pressure washer is in the attic or the garage or.....
    It's a bit patchy, but  didn't want it pristine anyway.