Caterpillar identification

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 319
hi can anyone identify this guy. There are loads in my mums garden (central Scotland)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,593
    edited 20 August
    Elephant Hawk moth .... wonderful 😊 
    https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/deilephila-elpenor/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,714
    They’re beautiful as is the moth.
    I had lots of them last year, haven’t seen any this year, maybe a bit early yet. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 319
    Thanks Dove and Lyn I have moved them from the weeds I have been disposing of and placed them to other weeds outside of mums garden. I assumed they were enjoying that particular plant even if we would rather not keep it!
    Mine stripped two big fuchsia plants, I think they can live on willowherb as well. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 319
    Willow herb is the preferred meal here. Mum has a small patch of earth by her front door which is a haven for anything windbourne so is overgrown with the stuff at the moment. I’m removing it before it turns to even more of a problem.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    I found one yesterday and it was green.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Fuchsia and willowherb are of the same family that’s why they like both and that’s why I won’t let willowherb grow in the garden. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    I have no fuchsia or willowherb so don't quite know what mine was feeding on!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • They also feed on Dahlias, Lavender, Gooseberry, Himalayan Balsam and Bedstraw.