What is this thing?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,735
    I have read that you can treat both the same way. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    Perhaps a skewer might get down the stalk. The marestails I've seen have very fine stems.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965
    Is moving house an option?
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 907
    Lyn said:
    That’s what the article says, cut down to 8” then twist a screw driver down the hole. 
    The problem with horsetail (sometimes ref'd as marestail) is there is not the diameter in the stem to do this. Bruise it and paint with Round-up stump killer in a solution of washing-up liquid which holds it in contact with the plant for longer. I had some limited success with this. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,191
    Me too but in a bigger patch or when it's infesting a bed of other plants I found hoeing or pulling a lot less bovver and equally effective and quicker.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,410
    edited 16 August
    After reading your comments perhaps cutting the top two thirds off isn't going to be at all effective, which is what we have been doing so far.  Perhaps pulling the whole darn plant out by hand would be a more effective option.  Thank you @Dave Humby my OH insists the weed is called Horsetail but I have always known it to be called Marestail - it's still a nuisance whatever it is called.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,654
    Keep an eye out for their reproductive phase in the spring and bag and bin the shoots before they release their spores and make the infestation worse

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/03/country-diary-field-horsetail-shoots-rise-and-prepare-to-swish
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for the helpful link @Dovefromabove, I have just been out to pull a few more of the monsters up and bagged too. I hope we can keep them under control so they don't have a chance to produce spores next Spring.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 598
    We use a Japanese razor hoe, which cuts them off just below ground level.  Quick and easy, but you have to keep doing it!
  • Roundup is pretty awesome on it but you have to keep it up for years to starve it out. Alternatively I know someone who grassed their whole garden, kept it mown short for years and got rid of it that way. Any that came up on paths, drives etc got sprayed or had a fresh kettle poured over it. There is no easy quick fix.