What is eating my apples!

Afternoon All,

i was just out in the garden and noticed some damage to my apples still on the tree. On closer inspection it looks like a shark has been at them by the cuts/teeth marks!

im sure thats not a bird by how uniform the cuts are but cant fathom what it is!

i have attached some pics and would be grateful for any help!

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    Crows. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,309
    edited 16 August
    I've been watching magpies recently on a neighbour's apple tree. I can't see them closely enough, but I think they're doing exactly that. They used to do the same to my tomatoes when the greenhouse doors were open.

Either that , or the sharks are turning vegetarian in your area @chris.weeks   ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    Crows, magpies, rooks, jackdaws, jays ... they’re all Corvids and they'll all sit in your tree and eat your apples and walnuts before they're ripe 🤨
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,309
    I've never had any of them on the apples @Dovefromabove, just the tomatoes, but they're definitely having a go at that other tree. They're out there now. Just the magpies - jackdaws, or any others,  don't seem interested at all.

My apples are pretty scabby, so that's probably the reason they're giving them a miss  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,925
    Agree, crow or other corvid.  Close-up of image from this site:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.