sweet pointed peppers

I have grown five of these plants from seed in my greenhouse and the plants are great and I have lots of very healthy peppers however, they are still very green. We haven't had much sun over the last two weeks, any ideas how I could get them to ripen up or should I just wait. I did think about putting a banana in the greenhouse !!

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 401
    They are edible green but I suppose like the rest of us you have to cross fingers and wait for some sunshine. In a greenhouse I suppose you could use heat, but how wasteful environmentally...More sound to buy some Spanish ones from the shops.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,201
    Even in a GH, my Palermo peppers rarely ripened before September/October so I wouldn't be too impatient :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,139
    Mine haven’t started to turn yet. Give them another month or so. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,907
    They need heat to get them to go red, once they start to turn if you cut them & bring them in to a warmer place they may ripen a bit faster.
    AB Still learning

• KiliKili Posts: 117
    edited 16 August
    I tried sweet mini bell peppers this year and they ripen much faster. I assume due to the small size. In fact I have about 50 of the little blighters red and orange ready to be plucked as I type this post.
    Might be worth a try next year if you want to be picking red and orange ripened peppers from July on. ;)

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• veggie fingersveggie fingers Posts: 24
    edited 17 August
    Thanks everyone for the advice....seems I need to be patient