Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

sun dried toms

Hi all again ,hopefully has anyone got any idea how they do the sun dried tomys again today i spent ??6 quid for a miserly little pot ,the toms are wonderful and the oil mix super anybody ever done any Please Alan still no smileys

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,024

Hello Alan. I tried once. One dried properly, the others went mouldy! Are you using a pad or a laptop? I don't think smileys work on a pad.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    High Busy yes im on a laptop and Google chrome,i had smileys before i had the laptop serviced 2 weeks ago, the laps great but no smiley fun any more,and i had the same result on the sundried try

cheers
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

You can do it very, very, very slowly in a low oven, as it is unlikely we will ever get enough sun here to do it properly outdoors.  They don't taste quite the same as when done in the sun, but aren't bad at all. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657
    Hi Book right i,ll give it a try many thanks for that

Alan
  • Yes I do them in the oven on about 130, not too sure how long for though I'm afraid - until they look good.Here's what I do (adopted from my Brazilian housemate years ago):

Cut the tomatoes in half, place on very well olive oiled tray and sprinkle with salt, sugar and oregano (dried fine). Cook for at least an hour. If they are browning at all turn the oven down.

Once done, store in a jar with olive oil, including the oil from the tray.

I don't know how long they keep as they never make it into the jar in my household.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Paperflowers-image

That's how I've done them too- possibly lower temp but my ovens seem to have nuclear capacity-make good roast potatoes because of it!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • blackestblackest Posts: 623

Alan on the browser there should a menu settings look for an item "request desktop site" and you should get the smilies.