Building wooden compost bins

2»

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,347
    The Centre for Alternative Technology runs courses in composting, among many other things, and they also sell (their own) books about it. 

We visited their centre for a weekend course on solar energy once, many years ago, and I still clearly remember their compost heap. It was the size of a small ski slope.

If you get the chance, I would pay them a visit.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 966
    Size matters, in this case the bigger the better. Large heaps or bins heat up faster, commercial scale operations use big windrows and mix them regularly with JCB's for fastest compost making. I wouldn't worry about ventilation, just emulate the big boys and turn regularly. 

For smaller bins insulation would help build up higher temperatures, look at designs like Hotbin for ideas. Solid wooden walls would be better than slats for heat retention.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 746
    Our composters are block back and one side pallets the remaining sides it works very well, there are two composters.
  • nicktennickten Posts: 57
    I made mine from old pallets with quarter inch gaps and it works well enough with plenty of heat when I turn it.