Pruning cucumbers

Hi all

Do cucumbers have to be pruned? Especially indoor all female flower producing varieties? If so, how? I know it's like removing the 'armpit' suckers on tomatoes but I've not pruned my cucumbers and now the bottom sucker is as tall as the main growing stem - with loads of small cucumbers on it! 

Many thanks 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,870
    edited 16 August
    I never have pruned mine. Maybe at the end of the season I have nipped the end off to finish off the ripening of late cucumbers. 
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 827
    I think you're supposed to pinch out the side shoots at some number of leaves but I never get round to it with mine!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,870
    Must be the variety I have had in the past, but I never get side shoots, just a main stem making a bid for freedom taking over the greenhouse.😁
    I'm growing mini munch this year. I find the main stem runs out of steam and then the side shoots take over. But maybe if I pruned the side shoots the main stem would do better?
  • Sabina13Sabina13 Posts: 13
    Oh! I have side shoots on every part that has a fruit, leaf stem, tendril and also side shoot.

I have pinched out the little side shoots I had, not the 1 really long one, hope I did the right thing. 
    Yes I am also growing mini munch, the main stem is now about 5ft tall, i planted it just a few weeks ago from seed. I have lots of tiny 2 cm cucumbers on it! 
    All the fun is still ahead of you @Sabina13! I've had loads of cucumbers off mine but they're slowing down now.
    I could squeal with excitement @singing gardener :D is it to much to admit to standing there watching the cucumbers for a 'while' and starting to think "did that just grow a little right now"?! 
  • Afternoon,

you can pinch out the centre of the vine once its grown a certain height.I let them grow new stems and add stays to my trellis to hold it in place.I have never removed leaves though and I always have plentiful supply of cucumbers for me and family and friends

Happy gardening

Jolly G
    Sabina13 said:
    I could squeal with excitement @singing gardener :D is it to much to admit to standing there watching the cucumbers for a 'while' and starting to think "did that just grow a little right now"?! 
    I haven't done that but certainly if I turn my back on them for a moment they seem to double in size!