Forum home Plants

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' blight - Treatment Query

2»

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    It's sad that something is causing kerrias to die off.....it is a beautiful plant and very versatile.
  • hmagee648hmagee648 Posts: 1
    My Kerria has brown woody stems with no sign of green grown. Usually beautiful!
  • chewdynastychewdynasty Posts: 1
    Hi, thanks for all the comments and advice here, thought I would just add my two penneth.  We have two Kerria's in our garden on seperate sides.  They both sit nestled against other large shrubs which have not been affected, but surely, the two kerrias have.  The leaves do not seem to be that affected but definetly the stem discolouration is the same as on the earlier photos and we have a lot of dead wood, dying from the top downwards.  Thank you to Ceres for the link to RHS site.  We are not very good at gardening and would hate to lose these plants (they have survived 30 years with our butchery and in-expertise) and are flowering well now.  So we will endeavour to buy/apply the fungucide named on the RHS site.  Being as the leaves aren't so affected and they are flowering maybe we will catch it in time??  Keep you posted.
  • aehardyaehardy Posts: 1
    Feeling a little sad as I’ve just spent the past 3 hours cutting my Kerria down to the ground after seeing some early blight signs last year then this year 75% of the shrub was either dead or covered in lesions. It did try flower a little so hasn’t completely succumbed! I love it so much I’m going to give it another year to see if this drastic prune allows it to recover but I don’t hold out much hope and if the same next spring I’ll have to dig out the roots completely 😢
  • John952John952 Posts: 21
    I had this happen to our kerria japonica about 6 years ago and I thought I had dug it out.
    Last year a few branches appeared and this year it is flowering its socks off!
    isnt nature marvellous?