Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hedgehogs good - Rabbits bad

We have an allotment.  It is near waste ground that is infested by rabbits.  We are having to re-fence it, and in the meantime we have had to surround our vegie beds with netting.

I would love to make the plot hedgehog friendly but want to exclude the bunnies.

Is it possible to devise a hedgehog tunnel that would allow - indeed encourage - hedgehogs but that would exclude rabbits?

Plummet  

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091
    nope. Rabbits will exploit the weakness long before the hedgehogs find it. Better to maybe set a little area aside outside the fence line with a hogitat to encourage the hedgehogs. Gives you somewhere to lob the slugs from inside the fence line from which they hopefully will not return. 
    Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    @raisingirl is right - unfortunately. Make sure your fence is well below soil level too - those b***ers can dig for victory. They make Charles Bronson in The Great Escape look like a total novice.... :D

Satisfying, that slug tossing, isnt it? I prefer to lob the snails though. The ones here have got massive shells. Nice and easy to get a good pitcher's grip on 'em.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Be sure not to catch any hedgehogs in the netting @plummet , they can get their little feet caught up in the holes which could possibly cause them to die in the most agonizing way. Rabbits are a pain for veg gardeners and luckily we haven't had too much of a problem with them - although I feel your frustration and desire to keep them away.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 970
    I found chicken wire a good deterrent against rabbits, as Fairygirl says make sure the wire is secure well below the surface.
  • plummetplummet Posts: 6
    As you don't actually say that you have seen evidence of Hedgehogs in your vicinity, before getting too excited ...

I have seen hedgehogs in the area.  I have even rescued one that was stuck at the bottom of our cellar steps.  However I am sure that their numbers around here are getting less.  Sad to say in many ways, but we used to see many squashed on the roads, but now it is a rare sight.

Plummet 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    At the very least, you could always put out a dish of water and maybe some cat biscuits @plummet.
    As far as l know rabbits don't eat cat biscuits? If you can't do that at the allotment maybe you could at home, if you don't already  :)
  • A tiny baby hoglet and three adults here last night - that is cheering after the episode with the crows attacking and mainly killing the three little hogs last month.  I do hope this little one keeps out of their way.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    Good to hear they are trying again @Guernsey Donkey2 and hope these make it.