drying curling leaves on cornus kousa

I have a large cornus kousa that was planted this year, although there is no leaf drop, the leaves are drying and curling. Any idea why, and what can I do?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,630
    Are you giving it plenty of water? Although it has rained, most of it will not reach the root ball. Give it at least a bucket full of water, poured around the stem area, once a week until the Autumn. It should grow the roots out over winter and be able to gather its own water next year.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Fidgetbones, thank you, I have been watering it and even fed it with a mixture of  seaweed and sequestered iron, it is still green, but very unhappy looking
    Have you got a photo?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• Very sad looking cornus
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157
    It won't have had time yet to send new roots out very far to look for nutrients and water so needs help from you for this first growing season.  Don't feed it any more while it's stressed.   Give it a good drink, at least 5 litres, once or twice a week until leaf fall.   It takes a lot of water to maintain all that foliage.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ooo dear and I thought I was giving it enough to drink! Thank you very much for your suggestions
    Yes, it certainly looks like lack of water.
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 593
    We have a newly planted cornus kousa and it gets an 11 litre can twice a week!
  • Hi I have one which has been planted now about 5 yrs. this is it this am - appear healthy and flowers well but leaves go similar so needs a good water. Good luck