What are the redeeming qualities of nasturtiums?

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 276
For the first time this year I planted nasturtium seeds in the vegetable garden in the cucumber, pumpkin, and corn patch (3 separate areas). They have taken over. Based on their reseeding capabilities, world domination may be on the agenda.
They were planted for companion planting.....they have choked everything out-including the bush beans.
A mass purge is underway. I can see how they could have weed suppressing benefits, but certainly not at the expense of the veg.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941
    They flower best in poor soil and the flowers are good in salads, as are the fresher young leaves.  Peppery.  Jolly colours too.

They are also often used as a sacrificial plant or decoy because they can attract and be covered in aphids which would otherwise be all over your crops.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I use them as sacrificial plant / decoy - plant near my veggies.  They seem to do the trick! My pumpkin and cucumber plants have flourished since!! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,295
    Add young leaves  to an egg mayo sandwich instead of watercress for that peppery kick .... also great with salami in a sandwich. 

Pick off the seeds daily and pop in a jar of cider vinegar to use instead of capers. 

Add some flowers to a green salad for a bit of colour as well as flavour. 

😋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 276
    Thank you Dovefromabove we will have to give some of those a try...and possibly quarantine them next year ;)
  • AstroAstro Posts: 90
    They seem to grow in most conditions I've tried, if they start to entangle with other plants I  just trim them. They transplant well too from experience and are easy to remove if they are no longer desired. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,077
    They also attract cabbage white butterflies away, so planted near not in with veg is what I did.