Using 'treated' wood for a raised bed... help!

Hi everyone,

I've managed to get my hands on a good amount of wood with which I'd like to make a relatively large raised bed (4m long, 1m wide, 80cm high). I'm planning on keeping the bed productive, with it as our main source of veg (just two of us!).

Problem is, nobody has been able to tell me how the wood is treated. They say it's impregnated but also pressure treated.

Is there anything I can do to minimise contact between my soil and any possible contaminants in the wood? Would a heavy duty weed membrane be sufficient? Would an impermeable heavy-gauge polythene liner create any breath-ability issues? Is there a paint I can put on?

Thanks for your help!

David

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,184
    Line the inside with plastic fom opened bin bags or compost bags or bought as a sheet.  It will have the double effect of stopping any chemicals leaching into the soil but also protect the wood from moisture in the soil.   Do it to just about soil level and attach neatly with a staple gun.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Obelixx said:
    Line the inside with plastic fom opened bin bags or compost bags or bought as a sheet.  It will have the double effect of stopping any chemicals leaching into the soil but also protect the wood from moisture in the soil.   Do it to just about soil level and attach neatly with a staple gun.
    Hey- thanks for your input.

I assume as long as it's open to the bottom the drainage will be fine? That'd be ideal!

David
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,994
    Mine are all done as Obelixx describes. All open to the ground :)
    I already had a large roll of black polythene, but anything will do the job

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....