Rowan not producing red berries

Hi my young shop bought rowan planted this spring has not produced any red berries and yet all those around me are with red berries. Why might this be?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,128
    Mine’s been in the ground for about 3/4 years and still hasn’t. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Jobbers4Jobbers4 Posts: 7
    Oh wow ok thanks - does it get white ones in the spring? Also can i ask did you cut it back in the autumn? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,310
    @Jobbers4 - Did you have flowers in spring/early summer?

That's surprising @Lyn, although they can take a few years from small saplings in my experience. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

No flowers in early spring/summer. Quite a bit of growth and buds. Though some of the leaves are wilting a bit and browning on the edges. I am watering often. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,128
    I wouldn’t  be cutting mine back, I want it as a tree, great hopes for berries next year, should grow well, they grow beautifully on the moor. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Ill clip mine in autumn to keep its shape. Im hoping for berries next year too. Ah the (dart)moor. I love that place!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,310
    No need to cut anything back @Jobbers4. If you get crossing or damaged branches in future years, you can remove them, but it's not necessary otherwise.
    No buds, no flowers, so no berries. Just keep it watered until autumn/winter, if it's dry where you are. It'll produce flowers and berries when it's ready   :)

Mine has several clumps of berries, but it's still just a young tree. It was a small bunch of twigs when I moved in here six years ago. It was on the boundary and had obviously just been hacked back regularly with other random bits and pieces to keep it 'tidy'. I lifted it and let it grow on a bit, potted up, until I had a little spot for it.

All the rowans round here are laden, and have been for a while Lyn. Gorgeous  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    The idea of clipping a rowan surprises me ... in my mind they’re not a tree that lends itself to formal shaping  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Ooh ok, im learning all the time. But there are a few off-shoots which are awkward and i imagine the tree would look more balanced with some clipping. But ill consider this more before i start cutting
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,118
    It’s the asymmetry of rowans that I find so attractive ... they remind me of the ones on hillsides where the prevailing wind has sculpted them. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh