Sad doggy tale and a warning

• HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 590
    What a shock! Thanks for the warning. Hope she adjusts ok
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,573
    I'm so sorry to hear of all the stress to you and your poor dog. I hope she soon adapts and keeps her other eye. Good luck and fingers crossed for the future.x
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    Thanks again for all your kind wishes. Hopefully, the drugs and eye drops will contain it in the other eye 🤞 
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 434
    edited 11 August
    What an awful scare for you.  Poor little Sandra.  Hopefully the second eye will not succumb.  But pets do amazingly well with an eye loss, even both, if they are kept in familiar places.  Sometimes I think they deal with it better than we, their owners do.
    My pup is nearly 16 (rat terrier) and 95% deaf now.  We have found ways to "communicate" with her with visual signals that is working.  She acts like nothing at all is wrong, thouhg.  I think she must wonder why we never talk to her anymore.  :)
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
    Thanks Peggy. Yes it’s us who are finding it harder to adjust, she is doing fine, if intensely irritated with the plastic collar. 5 more days until her stitches can come out!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947
    At one time I had a cat, a lovely little Burmese Tortie, who went blind in both eyes due to HBP. She adapted wonderfully well and lived for many years. She could still jump up on things and made her way through a room by following the walls and/or furniture. I just had to be careful about putting things down on the floor that she didn't know about. She found her food dishes no bother and her litter tray with never an accident. 
    I only have full sight in one eye and although it did take a bit of time to sort out my new spatial awareness, the other eye and my brain has adapted. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
    I was just about to look up the condition HBP until I realised you must mean high blood pressure, hogweed. Humans and animals will adapt to most disabilities, I think, as I am sure you have had to. 

Sandra has discovered the plastic collar is a good weapon so is busy biffing Bill with it and continues to boss him around, poor boy. She also nearly managed to bite off a chunk of a visitor’s finger yesterday, who was daft enough to put his hand inside the collar to pet her. So far, so normal  :)
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,027
    Thanks for the warning about this Nollie. I will also be passing on the info to my canine owning friends.
    Very best wishes to you and Sandra.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
    Just a quick update, Sandra is doing really well and has adapted quickly to the eye loss. She passed a recent check-up with flying colours and the drops seem to be keeping the pressure in her remaining eye under control, so we have high hopes she will manage to hang on to it!

Big thank you from me and Sandra for all your support and kind wishes xx

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,552
    🥰
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh