Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS 😎 August 2019

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,399

Total chaos here! 10 adults, 11 children, 2 babies here today.

Yesterday's baptism was lovely then we all went back to Son 2's house with his wife's family too. They had very good caterers, loads to eat and drink but all in the form of delicious finger foods which were passed around all afternoon. Plenty to drink too. Very warm and sunny, but there are trees in son's garden for shade.

Lunch today was a buffet here with yesterday's leftovers, melon and ham and salads that I made.

My diet has gone to pot. Gained 2lbs over the weekend, now eating an almond Magnum.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,261
    Sounds like a good couple of days BL.  Magnum sounds lovely.  Been to Birmingham today on the train with a friend.  She wanted to visit John Lewis as she had seen something for her daughter's birthday.  I found a lovely long bath robe in the sale at The White Company. Had a walk round the garden but haven't done any work in it today.  Watching a film with my feet up now.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,988
    Almond Magnum is my favourite @Busy-Lizzie and a festive weekend is not the time for dieting.  Glad it's all gone well.

I seem to spend my time cooking these days - courgette lasagne for lunch, about to start Mexican bean burgers, salsa and lemony rice for dinner , SM in between for more cheese after dropping Possum and Pal at the beach.   Day off tomorrow tho as they're out all day again at Puy du Fou.   Not my thing at all but OH and the ILs loved it.

@Yviestevie all our bathrobes have been bought in sales.   Only way to do it, especially for the ones in guest rooms.  Prefer a kaftan myself and then next one I make will definitely be purple.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,461
    Evening all. Busy week for me as have some of my new work team starting plus all the new Doctors start this week (try not to go to hospital in August folks!). 

I have a ‘row’ of the dreaded conifers at the back end of my garden. For me, they give privacy, are kept trimmed by a tree surgeon and are definitely a bird and wildlife haven. I wouldn’t choose to have them, but they are very suitable in my garden. My neighbours behind me, don’t care for them but the trees were there when they bought their house (in fact we had the ones close to their fence removed) so I don’t feel at all bad that they can’t see into my lovely garden and house. 

Hope you are all ok.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,237

now eating an almond Magnum.

Have you tried the mint ones? Heaven. I rarely buy ice creams, but treated myself and daughter one day during that hideous heat. 
    I'm exhausted just reading about what you do @Busy-Lizzie. Don't know how you manage  :D
    Nothing wrong with feet up and a film @Yviestevie. I recorded Philadelphia the other day, but not watched yet. Worth it just for the piece with Mr Hanks, Mr Washington and the unsurpassable Callas.  :)
    Rain eventually went around lunchtime, so I got a walk, and then got on with the rest of the woodwork on the little raised bed along the back fence. Been making it higher and adding a little coping trim like the others have. Rain has stayed away, so hopefully the paint will dry well enough. Got daughter to make dinner so that I could get on, but taking her for a drive in a moment or three. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,953
    Hi all

Not been posting for a while, seem to have found myself in a rather dark place.
    I just cannot get my head around the worlds total indifference to the continuing disaster in Syria.
    Not being able to go out there again, is only making the situation worse. When you know you could help, but also know that you must not, is not a good place to be.
    Hope you are all well, special hugs to @Hostafan1 and Garry, and to @Lily Pilly
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,502
    edited August 2019
    Good to hear from you @punkdoc ((hugs)).  
    My own thoughts on Syria are that a large part of the world has no idea what to do to improve the situation and is paralyzed by the fear of making things worse. It’s a hellish situation ... but please don’t think we don’t care ... it’s that old rock and hard place thing ... coupled with the awareness that the west have screwed up so many times before when we’ve thought we were helping. 

I envy you your skills and your courage ... you have been able to make a difference to the lives of individuals ... all we can do is wring our hands and weep. 

We’re at MILs in S. lincs ... tucked up under the eaves of a stone cottage and listening to the church clock chime the quarter hours. I’m very lucky. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pat EPat E Posts: 8,745
    Good to hear from you Punkdoc. We’ve been worrying about you. It’s o sad that these things continue to occur. Try to think of good things for a change.🎂🎉

Our temps are still a bit low, but we are keeping the heater full of wood. 
    Our son visited for an overnight stay on the weekend. It’s so nice to have a cat to cuddle again. 

S. E. NSW
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,686
    Morning all. 
    Warmest Hosta Hugs to you @punkdoc. I echo @Dovefromabove's sentiments.
    On a lighter note, did anyone watch " who do you think you are" last night? what an absolute corker it was. 
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,502
    Good morning @Hostafan1 😊 it’s nog a programme we usually watch but saw it last night here at MIL’s ... yes... revelatory for them wasn’t it?!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh