Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gravel Bed out and Clematis in

andy.smithandy.smith Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Garden design
I have a gravel trap around most of my house, especially at the front. I was thinking of taking out a section of this and some flags to put in a couple of Clematis plants, maybe jingle bell or some other evergreen variety. 
Would anyone know of a problem with doing this?
Thanks in advance.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328
    If it's actually a French drain, you don't want to be filling it up with soil... 
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    Not a good site for clematis.  Too close to the wall and not enough room for their thick, feshy roots to seek enough nutrients and moisture.

Funnily enough, French drains are called Roman drains here and @Liriodendron is right.  They need to be kept clear of plants and weeds or they don't work.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thank you for your replies. I'll dig a bit deeper to find out if there's a pipe; I went down 4" and found sand turning to soil.

If not a clematic then is there something evergreen I could use that won't damage brick? I had thought of an ivy, but the risk to the structure is off-putting.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    As has been explained ... that is a French Drain ... it’s purpose is to drain water away from the base of your house walls to prevent ingress of water causing damp problems in your house. 

Allowing any plants to root in that gravel is likely to compromise the free flowing of the drain and risk damage to your house. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've had a good dig down and found no pipe there. It's 2" of gravel over a foot of sand. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    It's still a drainage system intended to keep your house wall and foundation safe and dry.  Don't mess with it.   Your house won't like it and nor will your insurance company.

Clematis won't like it either.   They like deep, rich, fertile soil and plenty to eat and drink.      They won't find that in sand up against a wall.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato