Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,785
    edited 18 July
    GWRS said:
    Logan 4 , just being nosey , that’s a lot of currants ,  is it for wine 🍷 or jam or both 
    My o/h makes mixed currant jam 

That's ok you can be nosey, :)
    I freeze them all and make a mixed fruit compote to go onto anything. I put some on my porridge.I
    make redcurrant, gooseberry jam.I make a lot of summer pudding but just redcurrant.
    I've got too many plants, had to buy 2 small chest freezers to put it all in, but the birds eat some of them.
    The blueberries we have on our breakfast as well as the raspberries and blackberries.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,602
    Logan 4 , sounds fad , not had a summer pudding for years  , must mention it to o/h 
    We have lots of soft fruit 🍇 salads for breakfast with yoghurt for breakfast this time of year 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,172
    We cook blackcurrants in a pan with a touch of water added. OH has them with natural plain yoghurt or on cereal during the winter when there isn't much fresh fruit about. My mum used to make jars of jam with all the fruit - Dad had over 20 mature blackcurrant bushes and sold the fruit to nearby hotels, in the days when not everything came from the supermarket, he also give plenty of fruit to family and friends.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    I'm actually going to dig up my blackcurrant bush soon as I need that bed to grow asparagus in. Picked the last of the gooseberries and the first of the blueberries. Will freeze the lot later. Deadheaded the two 'Little White Pet' roses, a rather fiddly job, defoliated the 'New Dawn' rose (terrible blackspot/rust this year), then decided it was time for a cuppa. 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 3,952
    Done a good lot of clearing, of plants and watering where we volunteer and sowed some lettuce seeds
    Yesterday lots of shed building
    Good lot of fruit - I have been harvesting blackberries
    Hampshire Gardener
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,785
    GWRS said:
    Logan 4 , sounds fad , not had a summer pudding for years  , must mention it to o/h 
    We have lots of soft fruit 🍇 salads for breakfast with yoghurt for breakfast this time of year 
    That's great, i haven't had yoghurt for a long time, used to have the set natural yogurt not so much sugar in.
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 103
    Thanks - I have caged the hole orchard (which i only do once fruiting is on the way till harvest)- after learning the hard way. Net curtains work as a substitute though. I will post a pic tomorrow.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,813
    Been away for a couple of days so today has been mainly deadheading.  Have also fed all the pots.  Hate it when the first flush of roses is over. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,636
    Very breezy here so gave the hanging baskets and pots a good soak. The sweet peas are showing signs of mildew on the leaves, but are still flowering away.
    Heavy rain yesterday flattened the knautia Macedonia so l cut it right back, that too was showing signs of mildew.  Deadheaded the salvias, nemesias and veronica , and pulled out some of the poppies that were also flattened. Still have the greenhouse plants to sort through, plus potting on and seed sowing,  but tomorrow is another day. As long as l can get it done before the 30+ degree temperatures arrive !
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,602
    The promised storm arrived this afternoon , a bit of thunder as well , tubs where all ready full from last night 
    A bit later on sun came out , lovely evening , so dead headed roses 🌹, repotted lavender grown from seed and a bit of tidying up as well 
    Just watching last nights “ first night of the proms “ with a glass of wine 🍷 
    Happy gardening