Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,249
    I’ve spent the most money I’ve ever spent on the garden this weekend, mostly on arches, urns and edging which isnt in place yet.

But I did tidy up part of the front garden...any thoughts/tips?

Before

After

Took a lot of digging to get all the roots out and make space, but I’ve wanted a cypress totem for years.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,304
    @Tin pot, Looks good. If you can, I would be inclined to gently wire those sticky-out branches at the base to the main trunk to help them grow upwards not outwards. When the pink flowers have gone over, perhaps a third different conifer to maintain the theme?
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,279
    Hello , spent whole day cutting hedges , bushes & gave a Hawthorn tree a trim 
    Pleased with what I have done but worn out 
    Needing a reviving beer 🍺 before dinner 🥘 
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 176
    No gardening today, but yesterday did a lot of weeding and thinning out - got rid of some old, tired plants and pots, and generally made the raised bed area in the back garden more accessible for weeding. Our big problem is ivy - it gets everywhere. Managed to pull up a substantial amount, but still some way to go. I know it's important for wildlife, and it's in our mixed hedge, which is fine, as it can be kept in check there,  but it's in the nooks and crannies  of the stonework of the raised bed, round the back of the shed and clambouring along a fence, so it needs serious pruning. Any ideas on how to best go about this without harming other plants or wild life?
  • I have found the best way to remove ivy, is first you should decide which pieces are the worst and most invasive, and cut them with secateurs at the base of their growth, perhaps every  3rd or 4th piece that you want removed.  Then leave these cut pieces in place to die gradually over a period of a few weeks. Do this now, so they can be removed before early Autumn.  This will give any creatures that are living in it time to move on to a piece that is still alive.  Once the leaves of the cut ivy have died down, carefully remove the dead ivy stems from the base - always looking for insects that you can move to a safer place.  Ivy is one of the most important plants for bees and butterflies in late summer, to feed off the flowers when most garden flowers are coming to an end, and they use ivy for hibernation, birds enjoy the berries and will make nests in it in the Spring.  Think carefully before removing this valuable source of food unless absolutely necessary @Red maple, it is such a natural and interesting plant.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,304
    Yes, @ Guernsey Donkey,  but that only applies to mature ivy which is old enough to grow flowers and then berries. Younger ivy tentacles are just a pain, especially under and up fences. I just have the occasional rip and cut at these to try to keep it under control otherwise it will literally pull a fence apart. I'm now using SBK root killer (very carefully) on some particularly tenacious ivy climbing up a stone wall where the mortar's not great which I hope will kill the roots - eventually.  
  • Red mapleRed maple Posts: 176
    Thank you for your replies.
    No, I don't intend getting rid of it entirely, as I said, I have a lot in a mixed native hedge, which will remain. It's just the ivy that is taking over around the stone raised bed and along a wooden fence ( part of which is behind the shed), which needs taming. This fence is my neighbours, fairly recently replaced ( in last 2 years), so I feel that I really do need to keep on top of the ivy there as I don't want it pulling the fence down over time. It sounds as if what I've been doing seems about right though, cutting at its base, but it's a tough cookie to get rid of!
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,358
    Been busy today, put up a new arch at the top of the garden and planted rose Shropshire Lad.  Need to get one for the other side now.  Have watered and deadheaded, the roses have had a bit of a summer prune. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,358
    A good day here.  Lots of rain overnight.  Edged lawns and weeded, potted on some foxgloves (apricot), wallflowers and lupins and sowed more foxgloves (Pam's Choice).  Summer pruned the climbing roses and some general deadheading.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,279
    No gardening except about to water g/h & pots , water tubs getting low 
    Full day at allotment , needing a reviving beer before dinner