Forum home Problem solving

Climbing rose only has foliage at top

As you can see in my picture this beautiful pink rose has lovely blooms, but only has foliage on the top half. How could I stimulate growth on the bare lower half?
It is very vigorous, it has already flowered this June and I cut the top back to the roof you can see and it has already grown that much again. Thanks

• chats42chats42 Posts: 15
    Trying again with the photo! 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,715
    edited July 2019
    try to get the branches less vertical, and more horizontal by attaching wires to the fence.
    You could leave it until the leaves fall off , or fix the wires then get somoene to carefully help you hold things into place as you tie them in.
    Devon.
  • Hello, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply. The rose had lovely flowers and is still producing buds! (Although I doubt they'll come out now it's frosty.) I don't have room to spread it out horizontally. I think the best thing is to grow a shrub under it next year to cover the bare bit!
    the following year you'll need a very tall shrub as the flowers will be even higher up.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,571
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

some folk ask for help then just give reasons why they can't follow any advice given. hey ho.
    Devon.
  • Another option if you don’t want to or can’t train in horizontally across the fence is to do something like this:

Cut it back hard and then train the new stems in a zig zagging way up the panel. You could screw vine eyes into the fence posts and erect wires at regular intervals going up. Then you tie the rose stems to that trying to keep them as close to horizontal as possible. Because if you can keep them between horizontal and 45 degrees then they will more readily throw out side shoots which will bear more flowers. Also, by training them like that starting low down, you will get foliage and flowers at a lower level.

Or Hexagons idea about pegging could work well too. Would make it look a bit like a weeping form tree, which would be nice. It looks quite like a standard the way it has grown.
    Hexagon said:
    some folk get annoyed that someone hasn't taken their advice but hey ho.
    it's just words on a screen.I couldn't give a toss.
     I just wonder why they bother asking, as you've demonstrated, there's plenty of room there to train it. Pound to a penny it won't be done though
    Devon.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,338
    ...sorry.... always best to know the name of the rose and type, which we can see from the photo it's a Climbing Hybrid Tea... in this case 'Mme. Caroline Testout'... not an easy one to train but yes the main framework right and left should be brought down towards the horizontal, and the centre canes shortened well below the height of the structure...

...climbing hybrid teas typically have tall lanky growth with straight up laterals.. as clearly shown there...

... a rose like this is best shown and grown as they do at Wollerton Old Hall on the house wall ...
    ...here's their Instagram shot of it...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj4avSYgqdZ/

...pegging roses refers to those grown freestanding in the ground, not on walls... this rose could be used that way if it wasn't on a wall...
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2019
    ...yes, because it's a climber... you train these on horizontal wires along the fence or wall, whatever the support it's on... I cannot see any wires on that fence in the photo...

...but it would be ridiculous to attempt to peg that rose.. pegging involves inserting a long spike into the soil and bending the lower shoot down and tying it with string to the spike so the shoot is bending down or horizontal to the soil, continuing with the other shoots tying one to the other as they are bent down with the object of producing a fan shape, like a Peacock showing off... this is done with Shrub roses...

...one of the tricks with pegging is to hide what you've actually done...the emerging new foliage will cover the string... although I sometimes use long canes, wooden posts or metal spikes...even leaning against an obelisk is a form of pegging.. but I try to make them blend in..  I like the cheap green metal stakes you can get now... I find they almost disappear amongst the roses.. 

...the rose in the picture should have all its laterals - the 2 or 3 foot long shoots coming off and upwards to the main framework -  cut back to a couple of buds, or at least cut back by half, before Spring... and the main framework fan shaped along wires, like a fan shaped apple tree...  not difficult to do but probably a ladder would be needed, and some patience... alternatively, cut the whole lot down and start afresh... or for the very bold, using the notching method to induce shoots from lower down...

..or just leave it... it depends how industrious or fussy the gardener wants to be ...we do as little or as much as we please, don't you think?..