Forum home Wildlife gardening

Teeny tiny baby fish

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,444
Hi all, 2 weeks ago I noticed goldfish mating and eggs on some of the pond weed  so I transferred the weed to my new water feature. I noticed yesterday that there are at least three baby fish in the new water feature. There are also quite a lot of insect larvae almost the same size as the fish. Should I be feeding the baby fish? ? Any other advice? Thanks.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,215
    The baby fish will start with algae and progress to eating the insect larvae.  If the new water feature is shallow and in full sun, it will likely get too hot, so I would put them with the others.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,444
    Thanks, it’s fairly deep and there’s some shade and there’s a solar fountain which keeps it well aerated so will risk it but keep an eye don’t want poached fish! I think the parents usually eat their young in the other water feature they are often mating but there are never babies. 
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    debs64, my brother used to keep fish and always took the babies out and put in a separate pond, he said the parents will always eat them.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,939
    I just leave the babies in my pond alone.They have plenty of cover and several of my bigger fish started out as babies in the pond and now having babies of their own!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,444
    Yes Nanna I know that’s the case with tropical fish so assume goldfish are the same and it’s only a very small area of water to hide in. Thanks for the advice will let you know how they get on. 
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    debs64 My brother used to breed Carp and he alway moved the babies into another smaller pond. He also had goldfish in another pond and a smaller pond for their babies. 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,975
    No idea how anyone could catch all the baby goldfish in a pond - they are miniscule and move like lightening. I always have buckets of them and I just let nature take it's course. I'm with @madpenguin on this - some of my babies have babies now! The cycle of nature...…...
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller