Forum home Tools and techniques

Irrigation pipe under concrete?

Hi All,

Our tiny garden is being paved next week (concrete and porcelain tiles). I'd like to have an irrigation system for planters located on the opposite side of the "courtyard" to the garden tap. I was planning to lay regular 13mm LDPE supply tubing under the concrete and tiles, but I've just read that concrete may damage the tube. This is a one time opportunity, so I'd like to get it right and have a robust solution. What can I use to protect the tube, or should I install a different type of pipe altogether?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,995
    I don't know what it's called, but I'm just about to have a wet underfloor heating system installed and the piping for that goes into a concrete screed. So there must be a type of tubing that'll do the job.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,117
    You could always put a slightly larger tube under the paving, allowing the watering system to be threaded though. This would allow alterations at a later date if needed with no digging up new tiles.🙂
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,060
    When we had a path laid from the house to the end of the garden we got a duct laid underneath with a water pipe and a thread running through to allow us to pull through other cables as required. The duct was quite rigid and protected the pipe inside.