Shrubs ID

PeadarPeadar Posts: 14
I have in the last few years developed a strong interest in gardening. So when I plant something it is because I have actively made the decision to buy it and therefore remember what it is called. However prior to having any real interest I would occasionally buy a shrub in a supermarket. I have no idea what some of them are. I now want to identify them so I know how to look after them. Some of them are looking very straggly. 
Here's the first 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,405
    ..very nice.... Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin'... I should think...
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,485
    It's usually sold as a climber, which might explain why it might be straggly (although it actually looks fine in the photos). It's a while since I tried to grow one (it wasn't happy here) but I think it's one that you tie in to wires/trellis, not self-clinging or twining.
  • PeadarPeadar Posts: 14
    Cheers. It's a fine healthy plant, but the structure is poor, parts of it collapsing. The fact that it needs to be trained explains that. It has absolutely no climbing ability of it's own.
    If I prune it back would it work as a small shrub without support? It is currently growing immediately inside a hawthorn hedge 
    Another shrub which I don't know the name of

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471
    That looks like a Philadelphus ... possibly ‘Belle Etoile’
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details%3Fplantid%3D1421

To answer your earlier query, without support Solanum crispum will just be a tangled mess 
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/7846747/How-to-grow-Solanum-crispum-Glasnevin.html

Hope that helps 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,263
    I used to cut my Solanum right down in the spring. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Joy*Joy* Posts: 338
    The white flowers do look like Philadelphus but probably not Belle Etoile as that one has a maroon eye.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471
    edited 25 June
    Joy* said:
    The white flowers do look like Philadelphus but probably not Belle Etoile as that one has a maroon eye.
    You’re right @Joy* ... my mistake 🙄 
    ( more ☕️ needed)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,405
    ..the white shrub is Philadelphus coronarius...
    This one is going out of bloom already, however I am sure it will still be no bother for ye to identify it