Forum home Fruit & veg

What’s up with my courgette plant?

Hi all,

attached is a picture of my courgette plant. The yellowing has occurred since day one and persists event though it’s fruiting. I fertilised the ground prior to planting out and I feed it weekly (I do water but it’s been raining non-stop). 

I have a row of 4 courgette plants on the side of this one which are all fine. Thoughts? 

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,005

This has a good description to work out why your plant is unhappy and has yellowing leaves.

• garlicgirlgarlicgirl Posts: 12
    Apart from the little bit of mildew on the bottom left leaf, it looks fine to me. I have two courgette plants this year that have slightly yellow leaves (not quite a space much yellow as yours) and was told that it can happen if they are a yellow courgette plant, which yours is. You could maybe try a balanced fertiliser such as blood fish and bone or growmore (not organic) to see if it is deficient in something?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,836
    I would say don’t worry about it, as the new leaves come up green and the old ones die, you can just cut them off.  Nice little fruits on there now🙂
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    Blood fish and bone is not a balanced fertiliser. It is typically very high in phosphorus, in NPK ratio. And Bone Meal type products are even worse.

If courgettes need any feed, then a tomato type feed will have a much better NPK ratio with higher Potassium.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 514
    I also have yellow ones for the first time this year producing loads of fruit despite the yellowing leaves, I would say just ignore it as long as the plant keeps producing flowers and new growth.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,347
    @Skandi - that article was very helpful, thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked it. 
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802
    I have four courgette plants (I always think "three will be plenty next year" but somehow I have four again). Two are green courgettes and two yellow; the green plants look perfectly green and healthy, the yellow ones much like yours, despite the fact that they're in the same bed with the same soil, nutrients, sunshine etc. I may give them a feed of some sort soon but I think they'll survive regardless of what I do.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,640
    looks fine to me and as long as it produces fruit/veg and you keep picking them all will be well  B)
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 19
    Many thanks to all. 

It is still growing fairly well although most leaves are now completely yellow. Here’s hoping a good crop emerges. 
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    One of the problems with BFB is the high Phosphorus. It can cause problems if overused by locking out other nutrients like Iron. 

Bone Meal is worse and should be avoided unless you are sure you have a Phosphorus deficiency which is unlikely.