Forum home Problem solving

Rose Black Spot

i have a patio rose ‘Silver Wishes’ which is in first flush of flower with a host of buds also ready to open. Problem is the leaves are developing black spot and it is starting to defoliate from the bottom up. I followed the usual programme of cutting back, defoliating in spring, feeding and mulching and spraying. None of my other roses have a problem. Any suggestions? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Some roses are more prone than others, unfortunately.  @Marlorena may be able to say if yours is one of the more affected types?  I gave up chemical treatments years ago, so any which get badly affected by blackspot don't last long in my garden these days as they get replaced.  Plenty more fish in the sea as they say. ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,652
    ..yes, agree with BobTheGardener…

..if it was mine and I wanted to keep it, I would defoliate it,  liquid feed with tomato fertilizer, wait and see if it improves....
    ...I have noticed Danish bred roses, as this one is, fair badly when brought to UK... they may be healthy in Denmark, but black spot strains are different,.. 

..may I recommend a similar type of rose should you wish to get another at some point..  it's not listed as a patio rose, but it's small in stature and suitable for pot culture.... bred, trialled and tested in England..
    'Octavia Hill'

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,819
    Looked that one up out of interest and some sites say disease resistance is ‘excellent’, not that you can always believe what you read online! Could it be the growing conditions? Is it crowded by other plants, struggling in a spot that is not quite right for it, maybe the bush itself is too dense and needs thinning to get more air flow, something like that?

Are you in the UK? I wondered, because defoliating in spring is something usually only needed in warmer/humid climates, where they don’t drop their foliage naturally over winter. Most of my roses suffer from bad blackspot here in Northern Spain, but defoliating and following all the pruning, mulching and hygiene rules doesn’t seem to make any difference. Obviously that works for you normally, if all your others are OK.