Forum home Fruit & veg

What is this plant?

Having recently acquired a vegetable garden in a new house, I am unsure what this plant is, please can someone help identify it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,121
    edited June 2019
    Papaver somniferum ... aka opium poppy ... you’ve got a gorgeous one there .. they seed around and pop up all over the place ... gorgeous glaucus foliage and amazing flowers very soon ... they don’t last long so if you can it’ll be worth leaving it where it is to bloom. If you like the flowers you can them let the seed heads ripen on the plant and scatter the seeds in a more convenient place for next year. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• jab9192jab9192 Posts: 6
    OK thanks for the help! not exactly meant to be in the vegetable garden then!? Look forward to the blooms!! :-) 
  • pinutpinut Posts: 29
    It does look like a brassica of some kind, possibly a radish. Tear a section of leaf and sniff it to determine if it has that cabbagie smell.
    Not a brassica ... I’ll stake my beer money on it 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,824
    Agree @Dovefromabove, poppy.
    Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
    Mine’s a pint of Adnams bitter ... who’s buying? 😉 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,003
    Definitely poppy.  The seeds can lie dormant for ages and then germinate when the soil is disturbed.  I made a new bed last year where there'd been grass previously, and loads of them have come up - lovely single plum-coloured ones, and a few pink fluffy doubles which I'm not so keen on so I will pull those out before they seed.

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 986
    It's not totally out of place in the veg garden, it is the correct poppy for poppy seed as well.