Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgette question.

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 514
edited June 2019 in Fruit & veg
hi, I am growing courgettes for the first time this year (one yellow and one green) my first flower was female and obviously did not get pollinated as the mini fruit has weathered. I now have new flowers (male and female) but never seem to have two on the same plant on the same day. 

So so my question is will they cross pollinate between the two different plants? Also as each flower only lasts a day should I be cutting them off once the male flowers have closed

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,827
    A Courbet question? Here's a painting by Courbet (self-portrait). ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,719
    You could have used L'Origine du monde for extra impact @Papi Jo
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,827
    You could have used L'Origine du monde for extra impact @Papi Jo
    Yes I could, but did not want to risk offending fellow gardeners and being reported to the mods. o:)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 514
    Lol didn’t realize the stupid French error correct had struck again!
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 1,719
    It amused us all @Jacquimcmahon great painter too ;) 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 305
    hi, I am growing courgettes for the first time this year (one yellow and one green) my first flower was female and obviously did not get pollinated as the mini fruit has weathered. I now have new flowers (male and female) but never seem to have two on the same plant on the same day. 

So so my question is will they cross pollinate between the two different plants? Also as each flower only lasts a day should I be cutting them off once the male flowers have closed
    Answer is yes, they can cross pollinate between the two different varieties of courgettes. That's assuming you have enough pollinating insects to visit them. You can also do it manually yourself, by removing a male flower and dabbing the relevant parts together with the female flowers.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 514
    Thanks, no shortage of happy pollinators so hopefully they will take care of spreading the love for me.