Forum home Garden design

Hedge plants in containers

I have just bought 3 St Johns Wort Hidcote plants for a small hedge at the front of the house   I now want to keep them in pots in the rear garden in the tight space between the houses where I can occasionally move them into stronger sunlight if necessary.

What size pots should I use to allow them to grow to their full height and will they be OK with only a few hours of sunlight a day ?

Now I also need a replacement hedge for the front. I like the yellow flowers on the Hidcote but I understand they only flower for a month or so in Late June /July, Is there another yellow flowering plant  that flowers longer and reaches a height of 1 metre but does not have prickly leaves or should I stick to the St Johns ?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,718
    Hypericum Hidcote can grow up to 6ft , a hedge in a pot I am not a fan of it will restrict the growth which you may want but its going to need a lot more care watering / feeding they may possibly blow over . 

They look like quite big plants so I would pot into as big as pot you can move without struggling / injuring yourself. use a soil based compost mix John innes no3 mixed with compost . 

The only other plants that come to mind with yellow flowers you can use which could be uses as a hedge Potentilla and seneco and maybe santolina which is a bit smaller. 
  • They said maximum height would be 3ft when I bought them. You are right 6ft would be far too much for a pot.

I will check out the Potentilla and seneco.

Thanks
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,977
    I'd go for the Potentilla - the bush one not the perennial variety. Blooms for ages and easy to maintain. I think the yellow one is called 'Elizabeth' - I should really get one!