seeds sowing now?

For first time in life I tried to grow Lupin,Foxgloves , hollyhocks, Aquilegia and some others from seed this year , all seeds germinate ok and I was so happy but  they all went leggy and eventually failed. Can you please advice if I can sow the seeds directly in the ground and succeed . I know it's nature .Thank you all in advance.

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 955
    This is a good time to sow your perennial seeds such as Lupin and Foxglove. I grow mine in seed trays indoors. They don't need heat at this time of the year. Once they germinate, grow them on until you see the second true set of leaves and then pot them up individually. Make sure they are getting plenty of light, as this will stop them getting leggy. I keep mine in a cool sheltered place indoors over Winter and plant them out in late Spring. 

You could be lucky and get some flowers next year but they will flower better the following year. It might be worth buying a few plants to give you interest until you get going with your own plants.
    SW Scotland
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 89
    @Purplerain. Thank you. As a very impatient person by nature obviously very disappointed I am. But I will not give up ,will keep going with growing and enjoy expensive supermarket plants, will also keep experimenting with cuttings etc. My faithful dahlia , primroses, marigolds,nigella,clematis, peony will keep me going meanwhile.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    I grow the ones like foxgloves in august or september, then they dont go leggy, are just right for planting out next spring
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,621
    Your seedlings are leggy because  they need to be in a cool, bright place as soon as they germinate. 
  • dpatel2130dpatel2130 Posts: 89
    @Nanny Beach, @Posy. Thank you. I desperately need to grow them. Yesterday I saw Lupin about 18 " tall priced £10 in the shop. By trial and error hopefully one day I will get them growing  in my garden. 
    Crikey! £10! Daylight robbery. Your seeds will be fine and much cheaper. Cool and bright is the way to go.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    I can beat that lupins in Hilliers were £12, I didnt buy one of course not! This week Paradise Park garden centre Newhaven £14
    Shameless.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,333
    edited 14 June
    Its a consumer society, the days of instant gratification, a lot of people will buy them to have the flowers now. 
    Personally, buying a plant and putting it in my garden doesn’t satisfy me one bit, but having grown it from a seed or a cutting, that’s the best bit of it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 318
    I agree Lyn so much more satisfying to grow yourself. Here in France all the shops are full of only fully grown and fairly large plants in flower. You never see much in the way of seeds and never any plants at « plug » size, only place that caters to someone willing to put in the effort of growing is on line.