Tiny bug with a long nose - good, bad or just a little ugly?

Have seen a couple of those recently - very small, about 3-4 mm. Who are they and Are they eating my plants?  :|

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,619
    Possibly a Vine weevil and if so, not universally loved by gardeners :)
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 373
    Oh no 🤦🏻‍♀️ not those! I was hoping it was something nice and rare 😦 So it’s not just ugly, it’s bad. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Come on lets crawl,
    To the ugly bug ball,
    And a happy time we'll have there, one and all ....

It looks black? Is it the camera light conditions, or is it more a slightly peppered brown grey look to it?
    I think Vine weevil too.

Looks like you might have a plants in pots inspection exercise to do Big Blue.

• NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    edited 13 June
    Yep that's Vine weevil.

Meant to say look among the roots of the plant for crescent like grubs they are cream in colour with a light brown tip to one end. If you can pick them  out leave them for the birds they love them.
    Oh that’s bad then. Didn’t realise they were so tiny - as the grubs are always so fat 😳
    And again right next to my strawberries. It’s a war then 😡
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    edited 13 June
    I had to take a Camellia out of it's pot wash off all the soil clean the tub out incase of any eggs then re pot it. Also be careful if you have house plants as I have found them in the house. They do grow bigger.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,711
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not a vine weevil. The nose looks too long with the antennae set further back and it's more slender overall with a more pointed tail end. Impossible to ID without a clear pic I'm afraid but seed weevils look to be the best fit going by the long snoz.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,169
    edited 13 June
    Agree with Wild Edges, that is almost certainly not a vine weevil. Wrong shape and far too small. Vine weevils start off bigger than that when they pupate from the grub to the adult form. This is an enlarged V.W. They are usually about 1/4 of an inch across and a little bit longer in the body.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    edited 13 June
    I agree it's a weevil but not vine.
    I usually refer here to find anything I'm not sure of, takes a bit of time but get there in the end.
    https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/index.html

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    The one on my picture is definitely adult size - I caught two of the same making baby-ugly-bugs... So 3-4 mm...