Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plastic garden, plastic soul

Read this article and made me sad and angry...what a hideous way to waste a garden and to wilfully make it deadly for a fox cub and not be remorseful in the slightest. Just awful.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/flea-ridden-foxes-take-over-16495978 
To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow

• wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    Can you give us the gist of it without us having to generate ad revenue for The Mirror?
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    edited June 2019
    Yes, that would be great.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    I love wildlife but I don't think I would be too keen on seven foxes in my back garden,especially with young children.
    Wild foxes are still dangerous animals to have around.
    Fake grass or not is beside the point
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • You're such a difficult lot...it's the story of this family who covered their garden in fake grass and fake wood for a deck only to find a fox family moved in. Now they're apparently terrified to use their garden...the irony being the only living thing in that garden is the foxes. Also they left a paddling pool out and one of the cubs was drowned in it.
    Amazing that they were not too embarrassed about this atrocity against nature to actually show themselves to the world. 

That's your executive summary @Fire and @wild edges and you know...there are ad blockers if you don't feel like giving all that precious ad revenue.  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    I can’t imagine a child who wouldn’t be delighted to see fox cubs playing in their garden.

Don’t know what they hope to achieve by going to the papers, I doubt wild animals care about being named and shamed.
    It does not matter if the family paid thousands for fake grass or thousands on real grass.
    The point is they made a garden,maybe not one that folks here would create but that is their choice,for their children to play in,the paddling pool was for the children not foxes.
    These foxes are still wild animals,and dangerous ones,that have taken over so the family cannot use the garden.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    To be fair the foxes were probably there first.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
    To be fair the foxes were probably there first.
    I doubt it if the decking etc is new.The article says they 'moved in'.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    It does not matter if the family paid thousands for fake grass or thousands on real grass.
    The point is they made a garden,maybe not one that folks here would create but that is their choice,for their children to play in,the paddling pool was for the children not foxes.
    These foxes are still wild animals,and dangerous ones,that have taken over so the family cannot use the garden.

Wild animals don’t know about boundaries though, the mother found a good spot to have her cubs and they’ll be gone by the end the of the summer.

its a shame the kids can’t play out but they can go to the park, and in return they’re getting a close up view of nature out of their window that most people will never have. 

Live and let Live!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502
    It's difficult for creatures I think, they need to live somewhere and the habitable area must be getting smaller, but no-one want the nests, burrows, eggs, larvae and dens in their backyard. 

I can't comment on the plastic garden, it's none of my business (and some people don't like my garden) but I'd be gutted if something drowned in some uncovered water I'd left out😧
    Wearside, England.