Forum home Garden design

new border for boring garden

• Sue6Sue6 Posts: 37
    Where can I buy composted bark from? The garden centres only seem to sell the chipped stuff...
  • Great and helpful information updated. I think some of them are really outstanding suggestions. appreciate your ideas

Hi all,  I've made loads of progress and have finally got some plants in my new border, so far I've put in a buudleja sungold, winged spindle and nandina domestica which all seem quite happy so far.  My 5L eleagnus quicksilver arrived yesterday so i'll be planting it at the weekend along with a deutzia pulchara and choisya, will post a picture at the weekend!

I note the quicksilver grows up to 4m height and 4m spread but can be kept shrubby if pruned, it'll be near the back of the house approx 1m in front of my boundary fence and 2m away from my decking (to give some privacy from the neighbours).... am I making hard work for myself to keep it pruned to approx 2-2.5m? 

As it has scope to grow large should I plant it further away from the house and fence...maybe at the end of the garden?  I don't want to upset my neighbours by growing a massive tree along the fence but at the same time i'd like some privacy!

Decided to bite the bullet and plant my eleagnus quicksilver by the fence.  So far my new plants seem very happy.  I've alreday had some butterflies and bees buzzing about so am really pleased, am looking forward to seeing them all grow...

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,553

Well done! So much more interesting now. image What about putting some trellis or wires on the fence and growing a clematis? Or is there something climbing there already. There is a problem with this site at the moment for posting photos so they are smaller than they used to be.

Dordogne and Norfolk

Thanks everyone image Am quite chuffed with myself.  I will definately plant a nice climber along the trellis at some point soon. 

Since the weather's got rotten and ridiculously windy I've become obsessed with checking to see if they're all still ok. lol,  So far so good...

• hwadehwade Posts: 5

When borders need restructuring First establish what you want your borders to do: tall plants as a screen, or a see-through effect, with transparent plants of mixed heights? Maybe, like in my entrance courtyard, the borders "seed" the windows, provide great views from inside.

• Birdy13Birdy13 Posts: 590
    Have only just seen your blog and briefly scanned through all comments. Won't comment on planting because you seem to be doing really well with everyone else's advice and your own instincts. Photos show that.

About that path... Have you thought of repositioning the slabs around your new flower bed right up to where the earth starts? You would then be able to work near the edge with less risk of accidentally treading down that nice clean cut edge.

You could either (1) simply lay them on top of existing grass but that slightly complicate mowing - you might have to strim as well; or (2) carefully lift turf to inset the slabs just below the grass level and you then just mow over their edges.

With (2) you might be able to reuse the turfs in the bare patches left when you lift the slabs.

After that, if you still want a little path (eg for wet conditions) you could buy lightweight stepping stones to put down temporarily anywhere you like - they can be moved around as you change your mind or just left where you choose ( but of course the grass under them will turn yellow and die then).

Modern stepping stones are usually concrete and, although manageably lighter than slabs, are still a bit heavy. I saw some many years ago which were definitely lightweight - several could be held in one hand - but I forget what they were made of - possible strong plastic or fibreglass.

Just a few ideas!

Thanks Birdy13, I think it might look a bit weird if I put the path slabs around the edge of the border as they're quite big squares. 

I guess I can just lift off the edge of the turf along the border and lay something flat in there just below the turf level?  I don't really like the finish of bricks but would like something narrow, any ideas?

• JanpanJanpan Posts: 5

I'm veryinterested in the discussion about plants as I have some newly deplanted borders that need a replan.  I had a similar small town garden, with stepping stones which was messy but we have replaced with this block paving and newly levelled grass with timber sleeper border on two sides which is now my blank canvas. Am looking forward to a bankholiday gardening fest!

http://webkit-fake-url://8A0ED684-D7E4-47CB-96F2-5B97EB787A04/imagejpeg