Forum home Plants

Horsetail help

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,885
    So has no one tried injecting the poison directly into the stalks then.? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,344
    Well I hope I at least got a 'like' somewhere there in cyber space...lol...  I took a lot of trouble over that... 
  • dannyblack140492dannyblack140492 Warrington Posts: 29
    Hi marlorena 

It is very much appreciated as are all the posts on here, I'm not sure how to like comments on the forum it doesn't give me the option 

I've been travelling in Scotland all day today so been busy to check here 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Marlorena
    Your posting was very interesting and very true ; this plant can be controlled but never beaten . You have to learn to live with it .
    As I said on an earlier post here , its been around a long time to say the least .

That was your first 'LIKE' by the way ! ;)
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Oh well .......maybe the second !
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I liked it @Marlorena because it really is a state of mind in the end. Do we give up or do we deal with it like other weeds? If it can't be beaten it's best to live with it and not let it spoil the enjoyment of our gardens.

However, in my copied notes I found this from a poster but didn't copy the name. I haven't tried it but I thought it might help someone:

"Hi All, I Have completetly ridded myself of Mares tail and am now 2 years free. Amonium Sulphamate crystals are what you need. Dilute in water and spray on, wait 2 weeks then go again. The ones sprayed wont be seen again and the ryzomes will be heavily weakened. Keep an eye out the following spring - they will be back but barely, then repeat".

SW Scotland
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,344
    @dannyblack140492 … Danny, no problems.. thanks for getting back... I know we're all busy..

...to everyone else .. thanks too !...
  • We have horsetail in our garden as well.  I tried spraying the stalks with "Simple Green All-Purpose cleaner and it seems to be killing it.  The stems turn brown and die.   Not sure why it seems to work and would like someone with scientific knowledge to tell me if I am correct, and if I risk killing other plants near by when I spray.

Kimmer   
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited June 2019
    Don't know Kimmer, but logic suggests that if it kills horsetail/marestail, it will kill anything.

I've read this thread with great interest, at the wide variety of people's experiences of, and attitudes to, this plant.  Just to add to the mix, I live on a limestone outcrop, I've never tested the soil pH but neighbours who have, tell me it's about 8.  From what I've seen, horsetail mostly occurs round here in neglected gardens. A couple of years ago, I discovered it growing in the park where I'm a volunteer gardener.  Only in one place, at the foot of the perimeter hedge, along about 25 feet of it.  I made sure the rest of the team knew about it and we're always on the lookout for new occurrences.  As soon as it appears in spring, we pull every bit we can find, and keep doing it every two or three weeks.  So far, we have managed to stop it spreading, either further along the hedge, or out into the grassed area beside it.

I have heard it makes good pot-scourers, but have never tried it.  Please God, don't let anyone get the bright idea of marketing it as a "natural"/bio-degradable/plastic-free pot scourer, or people will think they can discard it into their compost bin after use ....  :s

PS/edit:  A previous occupier of my house covered a lot of the garden with concrete, which I'd dearly like to get rid of.  I once asked a gardening friend what's the best way to break up concrete, and he said with a grin, that's easy, plant horsetail.
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    We have horsetail in our garden as well.  I tried spraying the stalks with "Simple Green All-Purpose cleaner and it seems to be killing it.  The stems turn brown and die.   Not sure why it seems to work and would like someone with scientific knowledge to tell me if I am correct, and if I risk killing other plants near by when I spray.

Kimmer   

It’ll probably be back next summer, sorry.

i’m on my third summer in this house, it’s all over the back of the garden, coming up through cracks in the patio. It’s been sprayed with glyphosate every summer, the stalks have died, i’ve put them in the bin, the next spring they reappear.  

I don’t like using so much weed killer though, so from next summer i’m just going to pull it up when it appears, maybe eventually it’ll give up!