Forum home Plants

Horsetail help

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,410
    edited May 2019
    I have no experience myself but I have read in several places that if doesn’t like limey/chalky soil and that adding lime 
    weakens it. 

As as I said we don’t have it here but the soil here is very chalky. 

If if I had it in my garden If certainly think it worthwhile to apply lime (as well as using Kurtail) and see if that helps.

Good luck 😉  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,115
    Bruise the plant first by scrunching it then apply round up tree and stump killer in a solution of washing up liquid which holds the round up in contact with the plant for longer. I had good results with this method. 
  • dannyblack140492dannyblack140492 Warrington Posts: 29
    Is it inevitable that it will keep coming back each year 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    We are currently attempting to maintain a large property and garden 'on the market' ; Marestail has returned this year with a vengeance ; it is literally everywhere , through pathways , around the base of the house and even coming out of the brickwork . What is left of the borders are thick and green with it . An insurmountable struggle .
    I think we're fighting a losing battle , and pity any future buyer .
    Oh dear.. we're luck I guess we I seem to have caught it early at the first signs so am taking action now and the garden we have is a fair way away from the actual house itself with the large patio separating it so it seems to he isolating itself to the very back of the garden near the willow trees 
  • BraidmanBraidman Posts: 234
    I had a mass of it when I took over my allotment,Verdone (for lawns) made short work of it, never seen it again!
    Do you have a link to the variant you used bud 

Also did you dilute it and spray it or just apply it straight 
  • HelixHelix 704m altitude...Posts: 631
    Well we are on limestone and we have it!  So rumours that it doesn’t like lime are untrue...

We don’t use any chemicals at all, so just try to keep on top of it.  It’s no worse than the ground elder, bindweed and other pesky things we have.   And makes a good liquid plant fungicide.  I also have a friend who drinks it as a tea.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,362
    Take heart, you can live with it, and still have a nice garden... I've been dealing with it for 10 years... I must admit, I'm not sure I would buy a property if I knew it was there, as a weed I consider it second only to Japanese Knotweed, but a long way second... it's liveable..

Field Horsetail [Equisetum arvense] loves the open air, allotments, open sunny gardens.. it hates dense shade... it can be intimated by very dense plantings using Geranium macrorrhizum..  it's a nuisance plant only from early May to late August.. 4 complete months... like most herbaceous it starts to die down in Sept.. sometimes you will see early signs in Jan/Feb, but more from mid April onwards...   the ones you need to deal with in Spring are ones that look like asparagus, as they carry the seed heads.. the green ones on thin stalks, I just hoe them off or pull them.. I do this as I see them appear.. but they're clever.. coming up right in the middle of roses and other plants, just where we feed and water them..

If you can spend a few minutes each day from May to August, going over where you have it, with a hoe, and just hoe it off... it'll make you feel a whole lot better... it cannot be beaten, despite what anyone says about this chemical or that chemical... try to live with it...

I'm not fishing for compliments.. tons of my pictures are on other threads, this is just to show you how you can still have a garden, despite it.... Horsetail is all over this garden in the picture below.. under all the slabs, probably under the house... it comes in from the field over the fence...  if I lift a paving slab all the roots will be visible..

don't fret too much …

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,410
    Helix said:
    Well we are on limestone and we have it!  So rumours that it doesn’t like lime are untrue...

We don’t use any chemicals at all, so just try to keep on top of it.  It’s no worse than the ground elder, bindweed and other pesky things we have.   And makes a good liquid plant fungicide.  I also have a friend who drinks it as a tea.
    Well, I shall just thank Dog that we don't have it here, chalk or no chalk :):smiley:

Apparently it makes a jolly good scouring pad ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh