Forum home Problem solving

Aphids on my Sambucus

I have three beautiful Sambucus but one seems to be invaded by black aphids. I haven’t come across this before so I have sprayed it with washing up liquid and water. Will this be enough? I read somewhere that adding a touch of Cayenne to the liquid is also good but they are just about to flower so I don’t want to do any damage. I’m not keen on chemical solutions. Any suggestions would be very welcome. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,981
    Water is as good a remedy as anything. You  may have to be quite vigilant for the next month or so, but gradually, a balance will be achieved. 
    A good remedy is to encourage plenty of wildlife, especially birds, which will help keep down the population. Feeders hung nearby can help get them to the right spot.
     It's common at this time of year for aphids of all types to suddenly appear en masse, especially if you have planting which is susceptible - lots of soft new growth. If you can get them reduced a bit just now, plants will recover quite quickly  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Well, you could just leave them be.  Sambucus is tough as old boots, and mature plants will shrug off the damage done by the aphids.  Encouraging birds into the garden should help, especially now they have nestlings who need soft insect food.
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 67
    josusa47 said:
    Well, you could just leave them be.  Sambucus is tough as old boots, and mature plants will shrug off the damage done by the aphids.  Encouraging birds into the garden should help, especially now they have nestlings who need soft insect food.

Fairygirl said:
    Water is as good a remedy as anything. You  may have to be quite vigilant for the next month or so, but gradually, a balance will be achieved. 
    A good remedy is to encourage plenty of wildlife, especially birds, which will help keep down the population. Feeders hung nearby can help get them to the right spot.
     It's common at this time of year for aphids of all types to suddenly appear en masse, especially if you have planting which is susceptible - lots of soft new growth. If you can get them reduced a bit just now, plants will recover quite quickly  :)
    Thank you for your help and encouragement.