Forum home Problem solving

What is this plant and why is it mouldy?

Hi, 

Each year this plant develops mould or mildew on the leaves mainly in towards its base. Any ideas on the plant and how I prevent the leaves going this way? Also could the problem spread? I saw one in a neighbours garden with same problem.

Thanks in advance, 

Lee

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
    That looks like powdery mildew on Centaurea montana... mildew often strikes plants that are stressed by being too dry at the roots. Generous watering should help to remedy the problem. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,984
    cor, Dove bless you, you beat me by seconds, I was just looking up the name of the plant couldnt remember it.  Not sure whether it was a gardening mag or TV programme said to spray the leaves with mix of half milk half water it worked.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,086
    One of my favourite plants ... I grow it with
    allium Purple Sensation just as was shown on Gardeners World tonight 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks all, I'll try that.  :)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,616
    Mine does this every year whether watered well or not. Apparently cutting it down to ground level after flowering might help and also promotes another flush of flowers later in the year. It doesn't seem to bother the plants either way. They still flower in profusion and the bees love them.

I'm surprised they react to dry soil like this though since my original plant came from a pile of earth from a dumped out pot on the side of the road. The soil was bone dry and one flower was showing. I brought it home and nurtured it on then divided the clump a few times and now I have loads of the stuff.
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,766
    Why can I never remember centaurea? I remember it's a bit like roman  soldiers, but that's as far as i get. I have to stick with 'that plant that looks like a big cornfower'.
    In London. Keen but lazy.