Biting off more than you can chew

HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 264
We just purchased our first house last fall, and after years of renting and having many restrictions on what we can and cannot do, we were thrilled to have the freedom to do what we wanted with our space.
Our house was built in the 70s and has a huge backyard which we adore because we are very much outdoor people. It also gives our 2.5 year old and 1 year old the freedom to roam.
After following the various discussion boards throughout the winter and spring, I felt it was time to give back ;)

What we have accomplished:
  • Had various Yew and Holly trees removed from the borders-as they are toxic to dogs and toddlers. (They also prefer soil lower in PH than our neutral 7.)
  • Planted a privacy screen along the back consisting of 15 Giant Miscanthus and Malepartus inter-spaced in front of the chain link fence.
  • Planted a hedge of 29 Blueberries of 5 different varieties to produce fruit throughout the spring and summers.
  • Converted a section of lawn/flower bed to garden space (approx. 30' x 30') by flipping sod and covering with leaves and landscaping fabric over the winter.
  • Moved said flower garden flowers throughout the remaining space-back border ahead of the Miscanthus and in the central sitting area/zen garden space in early spring.
  • Begun renovations on moving several massive cement blocks out from under the pergola to extend the sitting area to twice the size with a checkerboard brickwork and block effect.
  • Moved what feels like, and could be, several tonnes of river rock to the front wall for use when the driveway is redone this fall (Drainage issues due to construction/developments far up the mountain from us)
  • The list goes on-including removing the lawn from out front to the back yard so that we can grow a pumpkin patch and do give-aways in the fall with my OHs company.
I absolutely love it, but sometimes I feel like I must be completely mad.
Anyone else feel they do the same thing? Or is it just because we have big dreams and are in the early stages/nesting.

• HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 264
    Mid-March.

Today.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,229
    It looks great. Well done!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Thanks B3!
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,611
    You have been busy  :) 
    Yew and Holly aren't to fussy about PH but your blueberries are they require Acidic Soil PH.

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,340
    That is some transformation K8 - well done :)
    Thank you Philippa! Perki we have acidified, mulched, edged. Now it's the battle of the bindweed, as that fence line was thoroughly infested. Well, that and a potential stem blight that the holly may have brought in. They are three year old blueberries, so I hope they have the resilience to prevail. Time will tell.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,439
    I hope you like blueberries!!  Fun aside, you have done a tremendous amount of work there and are to be congratulated.  I don't think you are alone, I love having a project to work on and have just spent a very happy day knocking a small wall down.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,341
    I'm amazed a couple with two such young children have time to do all that!  I hope they appreciate it.
  • 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,424
    I can see all the hard and heavy work you have both put into your garden.   With two young ones to care for that’s quite an achievement.    Well done.   
    Thanks all! It's a bit hot here, so everything has ground to a halt, but I will post a picture after more headway is done.