Plums and Cherry's droping light flies

PJLPJL Posts: 7
Can anyone help, I have had my plum tree in now for five years and had hardly any fruit from it untill this year where the whol tree is covered in small green plums the same goes for my Cherry tree which has been in now for three years, it too has hardy ever fruited but this year it is loaded with little cherries, my problem is that all the new fruits are falling off both trees before either has had a chance to grow bigger and ripen, is there an answer two my problem?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,852
    Is there a clear, clean circle of earth around the trees with no grass or other plants growing up to the trunks?

Is that earth moist or dried out?

I suspect they are suffering from lack of water.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,004
    Unpollinated fruits will drop from trees naturally. Most fruit trees need cross pollinators to form viable fruit that will go on to develop. There is also a natural drop of young fruit as trees shed some fruit in order to produce a healthier crop.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,654
    Unless your tree has a problem, as Ladybird says, it's usual for fruit trees to drop fruit at this time of year. It called 'June drop' and most fruit trees do the same.
    If there are more fruits forming than your tree can maintain, it sheds the excess
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PJLPJL Posts: 7
    Thank you Ladybird4 and Pete.8 for you very usful comments, both my trees are self pollinaters so that is not the case for the first comment but had no idea that fruit trees shed the excess of young fruits, I just hope there will be enough fruit left after the birds have had there share. Again thank you both, you learn something new every day.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,852
    Sorry, I thought when you said that “all the new fruits are falling off “ You meant all.  So I thought that the tree was drought stricken and that all the fruits were affected.

Had I known that only some, not all, had dropped off I would have suggested the June drop too.😕
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,004
    You are most welcome PJL
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable