Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Acanthus spinosus

We have a new one which we planted in a gravel bed about a month ago  I have since heard that they are incredibly invasive  Would we be best digging it up or will it be too late? 

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    They can certainly take over, and grow into large plants. How big was the one you planted? If not too big, dig it out with a large chunk of surrounding earth and hope that you've got all the roots - any tiny piece of root left behind will turn into a new plant! If that does happen, you'll have to either repeat the process or go chemical if you're not averse to that.
  • Jane-17Jane-17 Posts: 3
    Thanks. Taken your advice and dug it out & put it in a pot. Hopefully got it all but not totally sure. Such a shame. I wish they'd put this info on the plant details in nurseries! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    The main problem is the seeds that will fall. Make sure you dead head it or it will love growing in a gravel bed.
  • Jane-17Jane-17 Posts: 3
    Oh goodness. So cut the spikes off as soon as the flowers finish then? Seems more trouble than it's worth, this plant 🙄
  • CopperdogCopperdog Posts: 617
    I have an A Spinosis which has been in the bed for around 4 years and never done anything.  (I wanted it as Monty Don has lots in his garden and I think he recommended them??). Anyway this year I have two beautiful big fat flower stalks and am so delighted!  I think it looks incredible.  Ask me again in a couple of years time - might be another story!😊